I just went back to a seasonal customer (hotel/restaurant) to make sure everything is working for the Summer rush. I maintain their phone system, point of sale (POS) wiring, and computer network.

The customer paid me a lot of money a few years ago to put every low voltage wire in many hundreds of feet of PVC conduit, for both indoor and outdoor terminations, for the obvious reasons of keeping everything weather resistant and also rodent resistant during the off-season.

Every POS location has two Cat5e wires -- one for service, one for back-up -- so in the middle of a mad weekend, they can just unplug a kitchen printer, for instance, from the "A" port to the "B" port, and service is not interrupted.

During the winter, an electrician did some renovation in the kitchen. One of the printer locations had its conduit (with two gray Cat5e wires inside) cut off near its location, and now is fed with one blue Cat5e wire TIE-WRAPPED TO THE CONDUIT, all the way back through walls and ceilings, to the MDF / patch panel.

At the patch panel, the lone blue wire is punched down on a single biscuit /jack, stuck next to the original 24-port jack panel. He could have just re-used the existing wires, or he could have used them as a drag for TWO new wires, and he could have used one (or two) of the spare jacks on the panel or he could have used the two original jacks.

I don't understand why they take more effort to do it wrong, than to follow the lead of the person who originally did a picture-perfect job.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"