Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
My point is that it is much faster to terminate cat 3 on 66 blocks than terminating cat 5 on 66 blocks.
i have no problem giving you the point on that. it's even faster to terminate cross-connect wire on 66 blocks.

Originally posted by MacOSX:
I am guessing since your reasoning is shipping and space, that you do small 1-5 cables at a time type of AMC jobs that are mostly data anyways?
well, no. our business is primarily small(ish)telephone systems and we often wrestle the cabling jobs away from the sparkies and bored CGs. our average job is under 50 drops, equally voice and data. say, two 12-port vertical patch panels, four 66-blocks, six 89Ds and a handful of mushrooms.. =)

however, i've taken more accounting classes than i have technical and even as anal-retentive as i am about doing things correctly, i'm always doing job costing in my head. our margins are slim but adequate as long as we don't confuse our objective, which ultimately is to turn a profit. as we grow, it's increasingly critical for our practices to be scalable (not to mention competitive).

that's the whole reason i'm asking questions: i want to be very careful not to lose sight of how things should be done when i'm making certain we're not losing money doing our work.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy