Are you guys done beating this guy up yet? He already admitted that he didn't know what he was doing, that's why he came to us. I gave him a gentle warning, but seriously....

He has been given a task that he is willing to try. He has also advised the "powers-that-be" that he isn't a professional. Apparently, they have accepted that, though isn't that always the case until something goes wrong?

At least he was smart enough to research the situation and contact us, <the support people> for advice.

I wish he worked for me. I need people with his initiative.

Like it or not, IT guys think that they can do our jobs, and there's a good chance that they may succeed in many areas.

Can they fish walls? NO
Can they troubleshoot T/R? NO
Do they understand telcos? NO
Do they know the color of pair 5? NO

Still, we have to figure out an amicable way to work with them since it's apparent that IP is here to stay.

You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. A bit of extra help in the VoIP and Computers/Hardware, etc. categories might come in useful for our forum. I have only been around for a few months and certainly have to earn my clout here, but I see this forum as being pretty valuable to all.

Remember, these people aren't here to intentionally steal from us. Most of them have a gun to their head. I don't like it either, but it's clearly becoming the way of the times.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

[This message has been edited by ev607797 (edited August 11, 2005).]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX