Originally posted by sph:
I think rustynails means that Apple made a big deal about the differences between XP and Vista as a way of persuading people to switch, whereas they had even bigger problems with porting software between OS 9 and OS X.
But that's just Apple marketing talk. You have to absolutely disregard all that, if you're going to use a machine to help you put food on the table.
All of it. All your opinions, the hype, open this, closed that etc etc.
This is what it comes to as far as I'm concerned:

1. Can it do what I want it to?
2. Am I prepared to learn this tool as well as any other important tool for my job?
3. Assuming I spend the time and money to equip the machine AND learn it, how prone is it to break?
4. If it breaks, what should I expect from the vendors, both hardware and software?
5. How much will the Total Cost Of Ownership be after you factor in all of the above?

You get the idea. All the arguments about Mac vs Windows are trifling.
You are exactly correct about marketing hype, I didn't catch that in rustynails post.

Your #1 question is all that needs to be answered
"can it do what I want it to?"

In todays world of competition and availability of all the OS's (i.e - linux distros, Mac OS X, Vista) with a combination of opensource/freeware/conversion programs/etc., there is argument that all and any of the systems can do what you need.

I have found in my experience that Apple's service/support is top notch and Windows support is not user friendly at all. As far as Linux distros, your support is your personal knowledge of the system and message-boards.

I bought the Apple care with the my eMac and used it exactly once... they (Apple support) treated me with respect and helped me solve my problem efficiently. I have had the same eMac G4 since 2002 and only performed 1 memory upgrade on it. Before that I owned a Macintosh Performa-6220 PowerPC, which I've had since summer of 1994 (and still runs). That is why I say the hardware is better quality and the OS is more solid.

In the 10 years I've worked for my employer I have not seen anything close to that performance from a Windows box. The company has gone through 4 Windows desktops (2 of which still work) and 7 laptops (4 of which still work) and have not had anything but constant problems, hardware and software both.

I myself am not very well versed in any Linux distros and have only used Ubuntu for my first self-built computer... and messed around with Knoppix-STD for a minute.

To answer it financially - in 14 years of using Mac/Apple systems, I have spent a total of $2,600 in initial purchases and about $300 on hardware (mostly memory) upgrades. I have had about 4 total hours of down-time.

As far as peripherals (external HDD, PVR, Tuner cards, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc.) about $500. Still have all original keyboards and mice in operating condition too.

The "bottom line" reasons I suggest Mac products... great service and reliable hardware.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.