So, I am still d*cking around, not making a decision on a new PC or Laptop (both of mine should be replaced).

And while I grudgingly accepted Windows about 10 years ago (realizing that my beloved OS/2 was not going to make it), I'm really aggravated with Bill Gates and his devil spawn.

I did a lot of work with Unix years ago, and messed around a bit with Linux - but I still don't think it's ready for prime time.

But wait! The new Macintosh OS is Unix based. So maybe I have a direction to go in.

And while I'll probably be back in a year asking the same questions again I'm going to try to ask them now and maybe grow a pair and take the plunge.

So I have a few questions:

1- Should I buy a MAC?
2- If so - how are the laptops for putting my toe in the water? Or should I stick to a desktop?
3-How is compatibility with MS docs - word, excel & visio?
4- I used to program in dBase. I hate Access. I think it's utter crap. Does the Mac have a database of its own and is it compatible with dBase dbfs, prgs, etc? (I know about dBase for the Mac - 1987 vintage. From what I understand it was terrible).
5- How hard is it to get a MAC to work on a windows network. This includes accessing windows files on other hard drives, print to a network printer, copy back & forth, etc.I know it can be done, but does it require case of bourbon and much prayer?
6- I use Thunderbird as an email client. Does Mac have an email program that's compatible?
7 - I use Firefox as a web browser. I like it a lot. Is there a MAC version?
8- I live and die by my Palm Treo 700. I know there is a MAC version of the desktop software. Is it any good?
9- I understand that If I get a MAC, I will still probably have to run some windows programs sometimes. What's the deal with Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware etc?

Thanks in advance and please pardon a coward who's afraid to make the plunge.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"