Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll pick out bits and respond in turn:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What model phones do you have? I'm just wondering.</font>

The system is an IVX 72e class and the phones look like this: https://www.esi-estech.com/products/systems/E-Class/

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It really depends on what kind of phone you have, first of all. If you have a phone with a 2-line LCD, it cannot show as much as the 48-button phone that has a 3-line LCD. </font>

I know it has the ability to display both the caller's name and phone number because it shows both as soon as you pick up the phone. It looks like there's 3 LCD lines available for text. When the phone rings, the first one only displays the caller's name, the second one remains blank, and the third shows what lines are in use. Once you pick it up, the first line still shows the name and the second line then displays the phone number.

See why I think this is odd? There's plenty of room to display name and number because they both show up after you pick up the phone– that seems stupid. What's the point of ID if you have to pick it up to see the number first?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When a call rings in, depending on how you wanted the system setup, and depending on how many phones you wanted to ring, the installer could have either directed incoming calls to a department, typically a ring-all group, or to a list of extensions.</font>

We have ten phones in the office; when a call comes in eight of the phones ring and two are set to not ring.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A department group is typically used for inbound ringing when the customer desires to have more than 10 phones ring consecutively. </font>

We don't have more than 10, nor are there more than 10 ringing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If the problem is simply that they programmed the line ports with a name, that only needs to be removed for you to see all of your CID info.</font>

Honestly, everything you said before this sort of makes sense but, since I have no idea how they programmed the phones, it's hard to say what's what. What I will do is forward what you just said to the installer and see how they've done it.

I'm getting tired of having to try and do their work for them, though. =\

m19