Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
I have a customer that lets their IT guy handle the phones as part of his job.

So when he calls us in and he is there they are paying both of us .... it makes no sense.

I just lost a little deal because the customer had to have an IP system .... they are a tiny little office with one location and no remote workers. When we discussed which phone instruments they needed the small basic phone was fine for them as they were very simple. Then the IT guy got their ear and they bought expensive IP Phones.

Many of the digital systems have IP capability anyway .... the ESI systems do IP trunking, IP Phones and IP Links to other sites .... while offering 99.999% reliability and uptime along with no network issues.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Unfortunately IP is "cool"and that old TDM stuff and the old guy in the truck are dinosaurs that don't have a clue until IT discovers they are in way over their head and can't really address basic voice issues. We just installed a new system in a site that was an early adopter of IP. They actually went back to TDM for most of the phones due to their reliability and simplicity. They use IP phones for remote workers. A perfect marriage.

As we tell new prospects, if there are any issues in your netowrk, VoIP will help you discover them.

Last edited by Meyery2k; 01/08/13 01:02 PM.

Michael Meyer
Ben - Can you recommend a Toshiba system (so I can start doing a little research as to costs, etc.)?
I'm not a salesman, I'm a tech... but if I were asked to configure such a system, I'd put you in:

CIX670 Cabinet
Expansion Cabinet
BCTU2a Processor
T1 or PRI card
Enough station cards to handle your phones (BDKU/BDKS Cards)
IES16 Voicemail (Wav & Mp3 files can be sent)
Various licensing...

This is really something that you'll want to have local dealers bid on, the salesmen will be happy to come out, configure and quote you what they'd install.

Just be very clear upfront with all the feature requests you want to have.

Take this from one of those "IT" guys that is the admin of the phone system.

Ensure that the place you purchase from is very experienced with the product you are looking at.

If you wish to have a look at my trials, peek in the Cisco forum and read about my adventure.

I did not push the VOIP system, I was happy with the functionality of our Toshiba systems, we just out grew them and needed more features for remote sites, which is how we ended up with the VOIP in the end.

If you are a single location, I would look at a regular system and stay away from VOIP. Though I am not familiar enough with the pbx systems out there to know which would tie into your Exchange server.

If you are going to look at VOIP, realize that you will most likely have to rewire the entire shop. Along with purchasing new network gear to support the phones. Which will get expensive fast, if your IT guy cannot do it themselves.

Coming from the IT guy, stick with what works and stay away from the latest and "greatest", there is a reason your system has run for 25 years....

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by Keep
Take this from one of those "IT" guys that is the admin of the phone system.

Ensure that the place you purchase from is very experienced with the product you are looking at.

If you wish to have a look at my trials, peek in the Cisco forum and read about my adventure.

I did not push the VOIP system, I was happy with the functionality of our Toshiba systems, we just out grew them and needed more features for remote sites, which is how we ended up with the VOIP in the end.

If you are a single location, I would look at a regular system and stay away from VOIP. Though I am not familiar enough with the pbx systems out there to know which would tie into your Exchange server.

If you are going to look at VOIP, realize that you will most likely have to rewire the entire shop. Along with purchasing new network gear to support the phones. Which will get expensive fast, if your IT guy cannot do it themselves.

Coming from the IT guy, stick with what works and stay away from the latest and "greatest", there is a reason your system has run for 25 years....

well said ...... i believe i may be referring people to this post right here....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,618 Shoretel
189,509 CTX100 install
187,769 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024