web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Online Content
That's the problem. I've only lost one job because I wasn't certified. That one job I got some work after the fact correcting the certified techs wiring errors, not many but a few. I'm sure they paid at least 3 times what I would have charged to bring in techs from a couple hundred miles away. The over all job they did was OK, but I would have done a few things different, like using colored backboards for the voice. The patch panels weren't terrible, but not as neat as I like to see them.

Likes been said throughout this topic, being certified doesn't make you a good tech. Just gives you the tools to become one.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
I believe the BICSI installer challenger would determine who would be a better assembly line worker. Exact, repetitive detail. Sort of like Forrest Gump when he assembled his rifle. smile

zap Offline
The wonderful thing about standards is that there's so many of them.

One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Interesting points here. I would have thought that as much as some of the people here complain about lack of standards and unity that they would be embracing BICSI. They are at least trying to make communications cabling something that is considered up front and importaht instead of an afterthought. I have met several of the BICSI instructors and their all concerned with the same things we are. In my opinion BICSI has made lots of progress bringing our field to the front. Many organizations are moving towards requiring adherance to BICSI standards and best practices. We see bid requests all the time that require an RCDD involved in the design process. The companies who dont have an RCDD on staff are probably going to be complaining and trying to run down this requirement but its not going away. As time goes on your only going to see more and more of a BICSI presence in the construction process. Many large and powerful institutions like the US military are using BICSI as the standard for all of the communciations cabling. Collleges are another place where you see BICSI quite often along with major retailers, large corporations, etc., etc. Is the system perfect? of course not. I am an RCDD and am very proud of that title. I dont remember any salespeople at any of the training classes though. As far as the BICSI challenge goes, so what? big deal? its fun. You guys have never raced each other to see who can terminate a jack faster or can pull cable faster? Ive gotten many a free lunch this way. I think that instead of complaining about whats not right or perfect that all of us should own a TDMM and be using it daily instead of trying to buck the system. Nothing will ever be perfect in our world and thats just life but how about embracing an organization that is at least trying to help all of us and our industry. You dont have to go a BICSI course to take the RCDD exam. Just buy the TDMM, study your butt off, and try. On another note, 568A has always been the standard for commercial cabling and 568B has been optional. In residential it is required to be 568A. 568A was the standard and it was because of AT&T not wanting to play along that 568B came into play. Over the years because 568B was a newer standard it was assumed to be better and here we are. Anyways enough of that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,426 Shoretel
189,198 CTX100 install
187,439 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, jeffmoss26), 118 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024