web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
How is this install any different from a traditional PBX? If the wiring is terminated on 110 blocks, you still would have the 110 bridge and terminate the cable to an RJ. The only difference I can see is if you wanted to use a Cat5 Patch Panel. How would a traditional PBX differ in installation other then where it would physically be located?

If the traditional PBX was still 20-feet away from the 110 block, wouldn't this same problem still exist?

I am just trying to understand why VoIP has an effect on this particular wiring install other then the fact that it now places everything at one end of the room.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Traditional TDM doesn't have the requirements of 4 pairs of Cat5e cross cuts. It's one or two pair and you can use Cat2 or Cat3. In my Panasonic installs, I terminate the amps on 66M1-50 blocks and use SBC-2 or MBC-4 bridge clips so that I can open up the station side to test. If I put a patch panel in, it's custom wired with 25 pair switchboard cable (again cat2 or 3) from a 110 block to a surplus RJ-45 (Cat 3, Cat 5, Cat whatever) patch panel and the appropriate pairs (1 pair or 2 pairs) make up the distribution. Then I can use inexpensive 3' Cat-5e patch cords to make the station connections.

Since VOIP requires Cat-5e connections, you have to maintain the twists from your 110 frame to the PoE switch. That connection becomes a bit more difficult and it's certainly more expensive that single pair CCW.

BTW my last 3 reels of 2113054 cable got really expensive. I remember back in the day of still getting some change back from a $10 bill for single pair Cat-2 :-)

Carl

How is this install any different from a traditional PBX?

Traditional PBXs terminate with either Amphenols or RJ ports. You would use a pre-terminated 25 pair cable with an Amphenol on one end, with RJs we have custom made 25 pair cables that break out into a dozen 6 position/4 pin plugs.

In either case the other end of the 25 pair(s) gets terminated on a 66 block(s)located on the system backboard. The premises wiring, which should be CAT3 gets terminated on another 66 block(s). Each extension on the first 66 block is then cross connected to the appropriate jack on the second 66 block with one or two pair cross connect wire as needed by the system. We would never use 110 blocks although some do as well as bix up North.

You should be able to pick out the difference here. IP systems require ethernet wiring all the way to the jack.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
So the only problem is the increased pair count and additional cost of cable. The side benefit being a more robust infrastructure that wont have to be redone.

By my google calculations Cat5 vs. POTS is about 5x the cable cost per foot per 25-port.

Thanks for your feedback. I hadn't thought of the difference in pair-counts. It sounded like the problem was that he would have to terminate to a patch panel as opposed to an RJ. What I get for not thinking.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Seriously, there is a huge difference between real and toy phone systems, not to mention their purveyors. Many folks here have made it clear that that they are a VOIP guys and that's fine. At the same time, people need to understand that we are talking about two completely different technologies.

For example, I can plug a headset into my PC, but does that make it a telephone? Of course not! So why is it so "acceptable" to manufacture a piece of hardware that looks like a telephone, when in reality, it's just another PC on the network? This piece of hardware is also vulnerable to network failures, just like with traditional PCs.

How many times have you called, oh let's just say your local supply house, only to hear "our computers are down". Guess what? There's a good chance that their phones are down as well and they are speaking with you via their TDM backup plan.

The term "RJ" refers to a telephone company network interface wiring pattern under the FCC's USOC (Universal Service Ordering Code). Using this term on the station side demonstrates ones' inexperience in this industry.

Sorry for the downer, but there is a huge difference between real telephone systems and "plug and play" ones. After my having said this, I hope that you VOIP fans will still hang around. Nothing is personal.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It's no sweat off my back. Without struggle there can be no progress.

You are correct, I dont have 10-20 years of Teleco experience. My experience with traditional PBX's were the old AT&T/Lucent Partner Plus systems.

I am also not familiar with the VoIP that you all are accustomed to. That means I have never used Avaya, NEC, Nortel, Cisco, etc. Therefore I cant relate to your frustrations with those systems.

I have had good experiences in the installs that I have done. Customers are happy and it works reliably. Despite whether it is a toy or not, if I have accomplished that then that is all there is to do.

I will continue to lurk around and post where I think I can help further the conversation or gain knowledge from it.

In any case, I still thank you for your constructive criticism and look forward to it in the future.

So the only problem is the increased pair count and additional cost of cable. The side benefit being a more robust infrastructure that wont have to be redone.

You still haven't got it. Pair count is the same- 4 pair to each jack. I certainly wouldn't consider all CAT5e a "more robust infrastructure" and futureproof.

As I have tried to explain there are fundamental differences as to how voice and ethernet is terminated at the equipment end. One will not work as the other even if it is all CAT5e.

VoIP= a computer simulation of a telephone.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Option 1: Have a phone tech terminate a cat5e cable from the 110 blocks over to a patch panel. The only materials in use here are 110 clips and cat5e cable. Have each cable CERTIFIED from the patch panel through the 110 blocks all the way to the jack in the office. The certification is and will be very valuable in the future.

If done this way you have protected the integrity of the original cable install. Also, with the certification results you will be in position to defend yourself when the VoIP kids get in over there head and are in search of locations to place blame for their difficulties getting a toy to be a telephone.

I agree 100%. :toast:

-Hal

OP Offline
OK Then, Option 1 it is!
This is what I believed to be the best solution. Thanks so much for your input.
I have done this in the past (had all of my data drops terminate on 100 blocks and connect to the 100 block and go to a patch panel, gave me flexibility in the location of my switch cab) and have had the network certified to 330Mhz so this will be a good solution.
Do I hear the VOIP solution dissed as a toy... I am open to suggestion. I chose this solution; either Avaya or Cisco is what is be bid out; due to my size, under 200, and the fact that I have 13 locations and tying them together seems simple as I have been able to research.
Opinions, arguments Pro - Con?
I like to make informed decisions and am always willing to listen, doesn't mean I will do anything but I like to be "Illuminated"
Thanks again for everything,
Bill

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,433 Shoretel
189,202 CTX100 install
187,444 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 92 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024