Hello,
I would appreciate any info, opinions, and advice; I have read a lot of the posts here and look forward to your insights. As the Systems Admin I have been tasked with the installation of a phone system at our new location.
We are moving 50 people into a brand new location that has all been cabled already. I work for a District Attorney's office and we are moving into the new courthouse. I have a closet for my space it is 8ft x 24ft There are racks on one side with the data cabling terminated in patch panels and black plywood on the other side with the station cables terminated to 110 blocks. I am going to use an IP phone system that will use 10/100 POE switches. These will be mounted in the racks on the data side of the room. I want to know what the best way of connecting between the 110 block and the switch.
My vendor is not addressing this in a manner that gives me a confident feeling.
I have thought of three solutions
1) Cable from the 110 blocks to a RJ45 patch panel and use patch cords.
2) Un do the 110 blocks and replace with RJ45 patch panels and use patch cords.
3) Punch the cable into the 110 and terminate the other end with an RJ45 plug. ( I have seen this done in my current building, but does not really seem to be the way to go, but I do not know)
What would you recommend?
Thank you in advance for taking the time to enlighten me and help me make an intelligent (I hope!) and informed decision!
Bill