As I said, this system is installed at a non-profit organization that can't afford to upgrade to Partner Messaging 7, period. And "the password is not in general circulation?" HELLO? How long would you guess before it will be?

There is simply no reason for all the dumb "oh don't post the password on the internet!" Please realize what an awfully stupid situation that is. There is no reason, at all, that the backdoor password for each unit cannot be easily tied to the SERIAL NUMBER of the unit (or the software license key, if it's software-only.)

As for "what happens when the equipment leaves the original owner," again, that's just another jab at organizations who don't happen to be able to afford brand-new Avaya equipment and support.
If I had purchased this system brand new for $5,000 from you, plus a support contract from here to infinity including afternoon tea served daily, I would still be pissed about this stupid backdoor.

I'll increase my offer to $250.00 for anyone who can give me instructions for securing my stock Partner Mail VS 4.1 in such a way that the standard backdoor is disabled, permanently. (No additional hardware allowed, and no dangerous flashing with custom non-factory firmware or anything of that type.)