<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MARK3906:
I'm looking to try to find a difinitive answer in regard to registration of SIP end points on a PBX (Comdial MP5000) so that SIP to SIP calls can be made from one IP end points in one MP5000 to SIP end points in another MP5000 or from an MP5000 SIP end point to another manufacturer's SIP end point. I am not talking about the ability to call from one location to another. I am talking about true SIP calling. As I understand it there is no public registrar of SIP addresses like there are for email and domain names.
</font>

Mark what Comdial is telling you is true for the moment. There is no public registry or DNS for any SIP endpoint to register with. The SIP Server Blade in the MP5000 is the proxy to which an endpoint does it's registration. Lets say you have your MP5000 all setup with your SIP and working within your intranet. Now if I as a remote user would like to SIP to you with my EP200 through the internet, then you would have to provision a SIP station and provide a VPN tunnel for me to have access to the SIP server blade on the MP5000. I probably have said what you already know about this, but hopefully other techs out there can provide insight to other manufacturers capabilities. We are all in a new learning curve here, but far advanced than most. SIP and VoIP have no close proximities to Voice Mail in its infancy whatsoever. SIP has been around from what I see is about 15 years now. The benefits and advantages are just now starting to be realized, most of all LOW BANDWIDTH. There are new ideas in developement for SIP that will be available next 6 to 18 months. Join the SIPForum and read what is lurking around the corner.