No. I've been looking into this for a while. SIP end point registration has to take place in a registry server somewhere so other SIP end points can find other end points when they try to make a call (SIP TO SIP). At present, from what I understand, there is no public registry server for SIP. With Vonage and other IP phone companies, the ATA device registers to the Vonage registry server, but the end user never knows it so the issue of registration might be a relatively unknown issue for some. The reason this registry issue is important to me is that I have a customer with multiple sites in the US and multiple sites in Europe. SIP stations in the US can't call SIP stations in Europe through IP direct SIP to SIP because they have no common place to register their addresses. In essence, the SIP station in the US registers to the MP5000 it resides in and has no idea the ones in Europe even exist. So, if you relate this to the analogy of sending an email, imagine that you could only send emails to people in your office because there was no public registry service to keep track of where other email users and domain names were located. This is where we need a manufacturer to get in and answer the question from a non-sales standpoint and from a generic product standpoint.

------------------
"You are confusing SIP and email/voicemail. I think that's as simple as it needs to be unless I am missing something here?"

Now there are going to be people who will say I can call from my SIP phone anywhere in the world. True, but that is not what I'm talking about. There are also people who will say you can install an IP network. No I can't because that QSIG crap has not been worked out properly, especially when you have a switch in another country, specifially Europe (Germany). You can assume " this guy is confusing email/voice mail" and I would agree if I had not put so much time into this already. But the fact of the matter is that to make a true SIP to SIP call without going through the PSTN or through some kind of gateway, you have to be able to find each other. When this is worked out, telecommunications as we know it will be turned upside down.

ALLWORX: Get Me An Engineer For This One And Post Here So I Can Proove I Am Not Crazy.

[This message has been edited by MARK3906 (edited April 08, 2005).]