Originally posted by Charles U Sparkie:
I'm going to throw this out and see what everyone thinks.
If cat5e is adequate, they make an outdoor aerial version (air core so no messy gel to deal with) with a steel messenger cable. You could terminate a piece of this with jacks at either end and form a loop in the messenger for hanging from a hook. Use a 1' patch cord to connect to the jack on the ceiling and whatever length patch cord that is required on the other end. Run the lower end into an 1110 type box and anchor the messenger to the ground screw. A receptacle style jack mounting frame and flush metal cover will finish it off cleanly.

Someone might have to advise on the use of outdoor cable indoors since it will not be riser rated cable. I think a case could be made that it would be acceptable as long as it wasn't permanently attached to structure or passing through walls.
I think it's a pretty good idea, but unless it is CM or better it is a violation of 800.154(C)(3). In this application, CMX will not cut it in lengths >10'. A loop of it in the ceiling for strain relief with a standard patch cord to the machinery would work though.

I like Clinton's armored cable idea (I was looking for that link yesterday). It definitely looks more industrial and would be pretty hardy. I've never installed it - I'd have to look to see what kind of connectors can be used with the armor, and if there are any grounding/bonding requirements in chapter 8 for the sheath.

I found these yesterday. Very mobile and there would be no visible service loops in the ceiling, but they sure aren't cheap.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.