Once again... WOW. :bow: Sorry it took me so long to post again. I was traveling and my laptop crashed. Not only could I not communicate but I couldn't get any work done either.

While I understood a fair percentage :confused: of what most of you were talking about, it is light years above my skill level for voice. I wouldn't even try to teach anything at that level. I would love, however, to be in your neighborhood when you were doing some of that stuff. I'd work with ya for free just to get the experience! The systems that I typically work on, and have been asked to teach about, involve typically a maximum of a couple hundred drops fed through the usual MC - IC - HC TIA/EIA 568B stuff. Usually the voice involves a 25 pair cable from the CO. My problem is that every voice installation of any significance in which I have been involved was specified with patch panels, usually on a rack. Also, they specified Cat 5E or Cat 6 cabling with 8P8C jacks of equivalent rating for the voice (I'll bet you can't guess why they specified it that way wink ). I'm taking over this class from somebody else that taught it for one year and quit. Looking over the material he used last year, I don't see anything involving cross-connecting voice or bringing in the CO. It all starts at the MC as if the incoming voice lines don't even exist. I could just teach the same thing that he taught but I want to address this specific scope of work because nobody taught this to me at any of the BICSI classes that I took and it remains a weak area of my understanding. This is probably why sparky's and CG's screw everything up so much, and I see this as a chance to make a difference. OK, enough rambling. I think you all have a pretty good idea of what I'm trying to accomplish by now so... Back to the questions:

IF you don't know what type of phone system is going to be installed on a small system with 25 prs coming into the building, how would you handle the punch down? Lets say you have 50 drops with each one including (1) voice and (1) data outlet and the provider has mounted a 66 block as the demarc. In my office, I mounted an empty patch panel on the rack for my telphone guy to use. He mounted the telephone system (NEC Aspire IP1NA KSU) on the board and dropped a 25 pair cable out of it. He split the cable, running some pairs to the demarc to pick up the CO lines and the others to the patch panel that I provided in the rack. He labeled the Patch Panel with the various extension numbers from the phone system and also provided (1) port each for the incoming lines (I guess he did this for testing purposes, I don't use these ports). I patched the extensions to the other patch panel mounted on the same rack on which I punched down the station voice cables. Does this sound like a typical installation? With the exception of the demarc, everything is on a wall mounted rack because at the time I didn't know any better. If you were faced with the same scenario and you did not know what type of phone system, if any, was going to be installed, how would you do it?