We teach a number of classes at the IBEW (Local 3) here in NYC. Some I teach, some I taught, some I just help out with. We have a floor of a large building downtown that we use just for V&D classes.

The basic class:

1- The color code - starting with 25 pair voice, then showing how the first 4 pair are for data, then the 12 strand fiber code. We follow that by showing large count telephone cable and how to "read" the binders.
2- Practical - Punch down 25 pair on 66 blocks and 110 blocks. Repeat.
3- The EIA/TIA Structured wiring standard (in brief) and how it applies to the electrician on a job.
4- Punch down 4 pair (8p8c) jacks. We give every 2 students a length of cable and a jack each. They each punch down 568A terminations and then test the cable for continuity. Then they do the same with 568B and test that. Then punch down a jack on one end of a piece of cable and then the other on a patch panel. Then test. We do this with a variety of jacks and panels (AT&T, Panduit, Siemon etc)
5- How a job goes together. On the voice side MDF & IDFs. On the Data side MC, ICs & HCs. How all of them should be assembled. What to do, what not to do. Horizontal runs of one or multiple cables to a single WAO.
6- How the Voice Network functions in America (Class 5 through Class 1 offices). How to xconnect an extension or circuit from the MDF to an IDF to a station.

We have advanced classes where we teach:
Soldering (a lost art) (mostly XLR cables but also others)
Coax Installation and testing. F-Connectors & BNCs
Fiber Optic terminations: Glueing, Crimping & Fusion
Testing cables with a Cat 6 tester. Punch down jacks like in the basic class but now they have to get it to pass more then just continuity. Explain NEXT, FEXT, PSELFXT and all those other hideous abbreviations and what they mean.
PA Systems: How they go together. How to install, test and troubleshoot them
DSL - How it works and how to install it.
Grounding & Bonding Data Centers
We've also taught Wire wrapping and Cable Lacing, but that's mostly on request.

Switching: Three classes.
Voice - starting with cord boards and going through strowger, Cross Bar, Electronic and into digital
Data - Hubs, Bridges, Switches & Routers
VOIP - Basics

Then we have a real VOIP school (we're a licensed CISCO academy)
We also teach the CCNA class.

There's more, but for the life of me I can't remember what now.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"