atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MrSparky2U I need some help on the basics - 08/07/08 05:28 PM
I have to admit, I am rather intimidated posting on this site. I am (dare I say it?) an electrical contractor. I have been browsing this site for a few days now trying to learn everything I can about the basics of voice. I stumbled onto this site while searching Google images for 66 & 110 block images, and BTW, this is a great site! I wish I had found it a long time ago. While I am blown away by the endless variety and depth of experience and knowledge represented by this forum, I can't help but notice a slight :rolleyes: distaste among some of you for those engaged in my particular trade. I have however, been encouraged by the supportive attitude afforded those who, like myself, lack what can only be termed, "the most basic of telecom skills". Networking from the MDF all the way out to the station outlets is not a problem for me. I have attended training through BICSI and continue to do so to improve my skill set. I have installed and certified both copper and fiber networks. I understand how to physically punchdown both 66 and 110 blocks and through much study of this forum, I think I have a basic understanding of the pros and cons of using each in voice applications (I hope I don't start another 66 vs 110 vs Bix debate eek ). The black hole for me revolves around bringing the CO lines from the Demarc into the premise wiring system. I have many questions, but to keep this post from turning into a novel, may I start with just a couple?

1. In commercial applications, does the provider (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) typically install the required primary protectors on the incoming lines? If so, where do they typically place them? If my understanding is correct, residential NID's (provided by the service provider) have primary protection built into them, but I have not seen protectors at the Demarc on the commercial systems that I have looked at.

2. What is the proper method for routing cables and cross-connect wiring to and from 66 & 110 blocks? On 66 blocks, I think the station or CO cables come up from the bottom and the x-connect wiring goes around the top. Is there a standard for which side of the block the various terminations are to be made such as station & CO on the left and x-connect on the right? how does this work on 110 blocks?

3. On 50-pair 66 blocks, can you land wires on the center posts and use a bridge clip on the same post?
Posted By: justbill Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/07/08 05:47 PM
1. Yes, they should provide protection. The NEC does let them forgo protection in hi-rises that meet standards. You'll find communication in section 800.

2. Cabling in from the bottom jumpers over the top with mushrooms and about two fingers of slack. I use a separate block for the CO's except in very small installs. I also use both sides of a split block for my station cables. I've never used 110 for voice.

3. Yes

4. We're only hard on smart a$$ sparkies that won't listen and don't respect communications.

Welcome to the board. welcome
Posted By: KLD Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/07/08 07:56 PM
help call
Posted By: EV607797 Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/07/08 08:49 PM
Welcome aboard, Mr. You will get all of the help you need here. We only fuss about sparkies who become arrogant, develop attitude or simply trash a job. It is perfectly acceptable to admit that you have a question and are seeking advice. You will get all of the answers you need and then some here.

Many of us, myself included, are licensed electrical contractors. We are happy to assist. Stick around and by the way, welcome to the forum.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/07/08 09:59 PM
Your approach is a welcome change to some of those we've "chased away". Something tells me that you're built a lot like we are...a talented individual that's hell-bent on helping others. And may I say that you write really well? That's always appreciated (as is a sense of humor). Speaking of which, I really like the "Mr. Sparky to YOU" handle.

I think you'll find that there aren't any stupid questions, and that most of us are uncommonly patient in explaining even the most obvious things in our trade.

I truly hope you'll stay a while. I've got less than 1000 posts, yet everybody here is practically like family to me.

A warm welcome from me too, Garry.
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 05:46 AM
Welcome to the Board!

I (unfortunately) have used 110 blocks for Voice more then I'd like - but you do what the spec calls for.

If you have to use them - Use them like you'd use 66 blocks. Bring the cabling up from the bottom and run the xconnects over the top.

There is no "left & right" on a 110 block. The feed cable gets cut down on the block and the xconnects get cut down on the "chiclet" on top.

Go with what Bill says and you won't go wrong.

Feel free to ask away. We're here to help.

Sam
Posted By: MrSparky2U Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 11:02 AM
Wow!

Thanks for the kind responses everyone. I definitely plan to stick around because I have a lot to learn about voice. I still subcontract 90% of my voice/data work to companies dedicated to that type of work. I actually started getting involved in networking back in the mid 90's when I couldn't find a voice/data company that would do the quality of work that my customer's wanted. I was tired of being embarassed at the job meetings when I would repeat what my data guy told me to the engineer/RCDD and they would look at me like I was an idiot. I started going to BICSI classes so I would know when I was being fed a line of stuff form my sub before I repeated it to the RCDD that I was reporting to. Now I am as much or more interested in the voice/data industry as I am in the electrical trade that basically hasn't changed in 100 years. Sorry about the rambling, I'm just excited to be here where I can finally get a grasp on some of this stuff that has eluded me for years. Now, back on topic:

So there is no standard for which side of the 66 block you use for x-connect? I have typically used 50 pr blocks and punched down the station cables on the left and the x-connects on the right using bridging clips for easy testing. Bill, if I use all 50 positions for the station
cables do I punch them down on the outer posts and use the center posts for x-connect? If so, doesn't that mean that I will have to pull the x-connect for testing?

One more thing (sorry for the long post again). The reason why I am so interested in the details is because I have been asked to teach a semester of electrical apprenticship training in my area. It is an entire semester dedicated strictly to "Structured Cabling Systems". As I said previously, I can handle the networking side of things because I have experience there, but I want to include the voice side because I have also been shocked at some of the work that passes as professional around here. I want to teach these apprentices to install this stuff the way you guys/gals do it before they get the bad habits burned into their brains. I don't know how much will stick, but I would at least like to try to be part of the solution rather then perpetuating the current problem, so any information that you would like to pass on, I would be glad (and appreciative) to absorb. Thanks again for the welcome and all of the comments and advice.

Garry
Posted By: justbill Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 12:16 PM
Well depends on what you're doing. To the first question the way I do it is in on the left out on the right. When I install a system I lay the system cable on the left side of the blocks out with my jumper on the right and bridge clip, so there's my test point. If you're not talking many station cables and don't mind using more blocks with just CO feeds, same principle. Jumper (In) on the left and stations (out) on the right and bridge clip. To muliple the CO's just loop and bridge clip. For small jobs you can get a 6pr connecting block for your CO's you can also get an 12pr. So it really depends on what and how much you're wiring. You leave the two fingers of slack on both ends of the jumper for the very reason you stated, if you have to pull the jumper to test. Good size jobs I use both sides of the block so jumpers have to be pulled if needed to test, but I've never found that to be a drawback.

There are a couple folks on the board who teach sturcture cabling, maybe they can give you some tips.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 12:46 PM
I always use both sides of the block because with Inter-Tel systems I use 1 amphenol cable per card.
I do the same for station cables, 12 per block, and use the center pins for my cross connects.
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 02:01 PM
The reason why I am so interested in the details is because I have been asked to teach a semester of electrical apprenticship training in my area.

You might want to talk to Sam about that. It's what he does.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 03:37 PM
We teach a number of classes at the IBEW (Local 3) here in NYC. Some I teach, some I taught, some I just help out with. We have a floor of a large building downtown that we use just for V&D classes.

The basic class:

1- The color code - starting with 25 pair voice, then showing how the first 4 pair are for data, then the 12 strand fiber code. We follow that by showing large count telephone cable and how to "read" the binders.
2- Practical - Punch down 25 pair on 66 blocks and 110 blocks. Repeat.
3- The EIA/TIA Structured wiring standard (in brief) and how it applies to the electrician on a job.
4- Punch down 4 pair (8p8c) jacks. We give every 2 students a length of cable and a jack each. They each punch down 568A terminations and then test the cable for continuity. Then they do the same with 568B and test that. Then punch down a jack on one end of a piece of cable and then the other on a patch panel. Then test. We do this with a variety of jacks and panels (AT&T, Panduit, Siemon etc)
5- How a job goes together. On the voice side MDF & IDFs. On the Data side MC, ICs & HCs. How all of them should be assembled. What to do, what not to do. Horizontal runs of one or multiple cables to a single WAO.
6- How the Voice Network functions in America (Class 5 through Class 1 offices). How to xconnect an extension or circuit from the MDF to an IDF to a station.

We have advanced classes where we teach:
Soldering (a lost art) (mostly XLR cables but also others)
Coax Installation and testing. F-Connectors & BNCs
Fiber Optic terminations: Glueing, Crimping & Fusion
Testing cables with a Cat 6 tester. Punch down jacks like in the basic class but now they have to get it to pass more then just continuity. Explain NEXT, FEXT, PSELFXT and all those other hideous abbreviations and what they mean.
PA Systems: How they go together. How to install, test and troubleshoot them
DSL - How it works and how to install it.
Grounding & Bonding Data Centers
We've also taught Wire wrapping and Cable Lacing, but that's mostly on request.

Switching: Three classes.
Voice - starting with cord boards and going through strowger, Cross Bar, Electronic and into digital
Data - Hubs, Bridges, Switches & Routers
VOIP - Basics

Then we have a real VOIP school (we're a licensed CISCO academy)
We also teach the CCNA class.

There's more, but for the life of me I can't remember what now.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Sam
Posted By: The Phone Lady Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/08/08 03:59 PM
I agree with Bill on his explanation. When I was taught in college; yes I learned this industry at a technical college about 25 years ago, taught by Alexander Graham Bell himself I think, those were the exact ways we were taught. And, in those days, I was the ONLY girl in that school, so I have had my share of learning how to play in the same school lot with the boys for a LONG time now.

Bridging points were to be done between the system connections and the station cables. System connections always on the left and cross connects going out the right side to the station blocks. And the station cables were punched down using all the pairs, not just what ever amount of pairs you needed at that particular moment.

Also bridging points were to be done between the C.O.(dial tone) and the system connections, with the C.O. connections always on the left out to the system side cross connects on the right.

Somewhere along the way, it has become too easily accepted to just install cables and wires any way you want. Mainly because customers have opted to always go with the "Low Bidder". We all know that "Low Bidder" does not equal "Correct", don't we?!!?

I am called the B*#%@ when I make my techs correct even the smallest of things I find them doing wrong, but they say it with such LOVE I am sure.

I must say it is a breath of fresh air to hear from an electrical contractor "Wanting to Learn & Share" equally in this industry, as I get so tired of hearing the "Sparky's" out there saying things like; you're just a Low Voltage Contractor, you need to leave the wiring to the "Real Electricians". So welcome MrSparky2U, and I'll play nice in your playground, if you play nice in mine!!

Also there used to be a company that put out training books called ABC Teletraining and they had a great book going from the basics of wiring of a jack all the way to the MPOE, IDF's and the like. In fact there was an entire series of training books, of course most of them were 1A2 in my day of training, but I still saw some of those books out and around even as much as just a year or so back. Maybe you can look for one of them for a basic training lesson plan too.

This really is the greatest forum to come to, believe me, I have been hiding and watching here for 6 years and learning a lot. Glad I am now having a little more time to participate. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!...and a lot of fun too!!

Good luck on your training!! smile
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/09/08 08:18 AM
Angie is on the money.

Also - the training manuals were "Lee's ABCs of the Telephone" that became "ABC Teletraining". Just be careful of what version you get. The company has been around for a long time. I remember versions from the '60s that dealt with residential installation. They called for separating the twisted wires of the station cable (no jacket) and tacking it under the chair moldings with wire nails. Certainly an appropriate method for the time, but not very valid for current instruction.

Sam
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/09/08 08:51 AM
An addendum to my earlier post on training:

We also teach fiber optic testing. Power meters and OTDR.

Back during the dot-com boom we did a lot of training on T-Carrier - theory, installation and testing on T-1s and T-3s with some work on OC-X muxes. We still carry the class on the books but only give it if requested (usually by a contractor who's got a job they're bidding on that requires it).

The soldering class came about because of the Republican National Convention that was here in the city in 2004. A contractor won the bid for the Voice & Data portion of the job and expected to do just that, Voice & Data. Surprise! Most of the voice was brought in by Verizon and there wasn't a lot of data. The bulk of the work was miles and miles of microphone cabling for the TV people - and all of the connectors (mostly XLR) had to be soldered. There were some frantic phone calls to the Union Hall and they wound up replacing about half of the young'uns on the job with some cranky old guys who still remembered how to solder. The work went well and everyone was happy but we put soldering back in the syllabus on a permanent basis.

I think the lesson to be learned is that if you have a large organization you need to keep track of your talent. Keep a database on who knows what and be able to grab them when you need them. Even better - let them teach a class to some instructors who can then put it into your program.

To prove this I'd like to add a family anecdote.

I had a Great- Aunt Mollie, who passed away many years ago at the age of 99. She had worked in NYCs Garment Center all her life and had been retired for many years. I used to bring my kids (when they were little) to see her every week. One Sunday she proudly told me that she was going back to work tomorrow. I was shocked!

Turns out a Broadway Producer was putting on a play (I think it was Anything Goes, but I'm not 100%). The costumes called for a lot of feathers and they couldn't find anyone who could reproduce the costumes that went back to the '20s and '30s. The Producer went to the ILGWU, who dug into their records and found three surviving pensioneers who had done primarily feather work in their careers. Every morning for a few weeks a limousine picked up Mollie and two of her cronies and took them to a shop where these three little old ladies trained a bunch of young girls how to make feathered hats, cloaks, bags etc.

It may have been the best days of Mollie's retirement and was a win-win for all concerned. Moral of the story? Keep track of your talent, you never know when you might need it.

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/09/08 09:08 PM
Sam, I solder on almost a daily basis doing audio work. It really is an art form and it's sometimes hard to teach other people how to do it. Let me tell you, I have had to figure out some interesting ways to solder XLRs in the back of a sound rack...without burning my hands off smile
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/09/08 10:03 PM
My first job out of high school was in an electronics plant. I started as a prototype tech and of course everything was soldered. Most of the equipment I built used Amphenol connectors, the familiar 50 pin and smaller (yes they do make 36, 24 and 14 pin Amphenols). Everything was wired with 22GA stranded wire and those Amphenols were not the crimp type. They just wouldn't work in this application anyway. There were sometimes a dozen 50 pin connectors on the rear of a rack mount piece of equipment and each pin had to have the tinned wire inserted into it, soldered and a piece of sleeving slid down over it to prevent shorts. Then there was point-to-point wiring of chassis- your usual resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. We also built printed circuit boards that had to have the components "stuffed". Not mil spec but we did a lot of work for the aerospace industry.

So after about nine years of that even though it was forty years ago I can still pick up a soldering iron and wire components like it was yesterday. Like riding a bike I guess. Just don't ask me about surface mount, I wouldn't know where to start. Fortunately (or unfortunately) all that stuff today is throwaway so repair of those boards isn't much of an issue.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 07:50 AM
Hal -

2 small comments. Besides 50 pin and smaller, they also make bigger amphenols. Just a few years ago I was installing a lot of carrier equipment. T-3 Muxes which output 28 T-1s usually came with wirewrap outputs. Then we got a batch that were amphenoled - 25 circuits on ones pair of amps and 3 on the other. Then we got the newer version with 28 pair amphenols. And a different "Butterfly" machine to make them up.

2nd - I worked with an old timer named Joe who had been a foreman for NY Tel for many years before coming into Local 3. He said that whenever he had to solder anything in the house his wife Julia would laugh at him and take the iron away and do it herself. During WWII she had been a "rosie the solderer" who built radios on an assembly line. Joe would never object because as he said, she was much better then he was,

She said it was a skill that you never forgot.

Sam
Posted By: EV607797 Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 01:22 PM
Yep, I've got some 64 pin Amphenol cables too. Just like the CG's seeing a 25 pair connector and referring to it as "Centronics", I guess we also have the bad habit of referring to a 25 pr. connector as an "Amphenol". Kind of like the "RJ45" thing.
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 04:12 PM
Yup, 64 pin (32 pair) is the biggest in the Amphenol 57 series. Never saw one though. That 28 pair had to be a custom. I remember back then somebody heard about something like a 26 pair, just a bit bigger than the 25 but not enough that you would notice. Wonder if that was it?

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 06:24 PM
Actually, it may have been 32 pair and we only used 28 pair for the T's. Damned if I remember. We used it on ABAM cable so it took 22 gauge cable. I think I only made up about 3 or 4 sets the whole time we were doing that work.

Sam
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 06:59 PM
Hal do you mean 26 pair inside wiring cable? there was such a thing, the last pair was a red/white; made up so western could guarntee 25 good pair in a cable, also called interstael in outside cable -silk and cotton/ paper/pulp.
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 08:39 PM
No, never saw that cable. Would it be used with connectors? If so that might be the answer.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 08:52 PM
Hal -

We got 26 pair cable occasionally. It was a "standard" IW cable with a Red/White pair. I was told the extra pair was used as a "talk" pair by splicers, but I never believed it. OSP yes, IW? No.

We used to get it in the early '70s from a cable supplier upstate. I never really got a straight answer on it. It was quite a shocker the first time I punched it down. I remember asking if we could order it and have it ID'd (it used to come in mixed with a batch of regular 25 pair). I remember thinking it would be good to have it for the attendant/operator position (where they always wanted something extra, like a door release button) but the supplier couldn't or wouldn't guarantee it.

Sam
Posted By: EV607797 Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/10/08 09:11 PM
The 26th pair was supposedly a "talk pair" back when pulp cable was used where all of the binder's pair colors were the same.

It also existed in inside wiring cable well into the 1960's until cable pairs became "band-marked" and solid colors in pairs went away. After that, the 26th pair went away on indoor cable for the most part.

It carried over into PIC cable for a while, but was usually used as a "frog" pair (temporary replacement for a bad pair). Aside from T-Screen cable, I haven't seen any 26th pairs around in a while. I think that I still have some icky-pick 52 pair T-Screen cable, where there are two separately-shielded 25 pair compartments, with a white/red spare for compartment #1 and a white/black spare for compartment #2.
Posted By: justbill Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/11/08 07:23 AM
We've kind'a hijacked Sparkies thread. What say we try to get it back on track. Don't think he was looking to get quite this deep just yet. laugh
Posted By: Kev Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/12/08 10:58 AM
Extra pairs are pretty common in OSP cables, usually when they find a defect they cram a few extra "just in case" pairs into them.
Posted By: MrSparky2U Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/12/08 02:24 PM
Once again... WOW. :bow: Sorry it took me so long to post again. I was traveling and my laptop crashed. Not only could I not communicate but I couldn't get any work done either.

While I understood a fair percentage :confused: of what most of you were talking about, it is light years above my skill level for voice. I wouldn't even try to teach anything at that level. I would love, however, to be in your neighborhood when you were doing some of that stuff. I'd work with ya for free just to get the experience! The systems that I typically work on, and have been asked to teach about, involve typically a maximum of a couple hundred drops fed through the usual MC - IC - HC TIA/EIA 568B stuff. Usually the voice involves a 25 pair cable from the CO. My problem is that every voice installation of any significance in which I have been involved was specified with patch panels, usually on a rack. Also, they specified Cat 5E or Cat 6 cabling with 8P8C jacks of equivalent rating for the voice (I'll bet you can't guess why they specified it that way wink ). I'm taking over this class from somebody else that taught it for one year and quit. Looking over the material he used last year, I don't see anything involving cross-connecting voice or bringing in the CO. It all starts at the MC as if the incoming voice lines don't even exist. I could just teach the same thing that he taught but I want to address this specific scope of work because nobody taught this to me at any of the BICSI classes that I took and it remains a weak area of my understanding. This is probably why sparky's and CG's screw everything up so much, and I see this as a chance to make a difference. OK, enough rambling. I think you all have a pretty good idea of what I'm trying to accomplish by now so... Back to the questions:

IF you don't know what type of phone system is going to be installed on a small system with 25 prs coming into the building, how would you handle the punch down? Lets say you have 50 drops with each one including (1) voice and (1) data outlet and the provider has mounted a 66 block as the demarc. In my office, I mounted an empty patch panel on the rack for my telphone guy to use. He mounted the telephone system (NEC Aspire IP1NA KSU) on the board and dropped a 25 pair cable out of it. He split the cable, running some pairs to the demarc to pick up the CO lines and the others to the patch panel that I provided in the rack. He labeled the Patch Panel with the various extension numbers from the phone system and also provided (1) port each for the incoming lines (I guess he did this for testing purposes, I don't use these ports). I patched the extensions to the other patch panel mounted on the same rack on which I punched down the station voice cables. Does this sound like a typical installation? With the exception of the demarc, everything is on a wall mounted rack because at the time I didn't know any better. If you were faced with the same scenario and you did not know what type of phone system, if any, was going to be installed, how would you do it?
Posted By: KLD Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/12/08 02:42 PM
Sparky,

Just think of the incoming lines as if they are dedicated electrical circuits.

Think of the KSU as a Master Panel.

Think of station cabling the same as dedicated circuits from the Master Panel.

Rule of thumb for both voice and data....no more than three x-connects or "hubs".

Now then, think of a KSU as a CPU on your home computer. The feeders are the same as the DSL or cable input. The KSU does the "mixing" so that the users get inter-connection and outside connections. Think of the station ports no differently than ports for a printer.

Know anything about networking?

Server in the middle of the "hub" and a bunch of computers. KSU in the middle of the "hub" and a bunch of phones.

I also taught electricians and taught in many areas of the US of A. I do speak "Sparky" as well as "Telephonese". laugh

Ken.
Posted By: WRichey Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/12/08 03:21 PM
The preferred method of terminating your drops should not be a patch panel. I prefer either 66 blocks with ALL pairs terminated on their own pins. Or the 110 version with the same result. The prior being most preferred.

The feeder should be terminated the same. Never mind if you know what system is going in all telecom pro's will match what they see on a back board. Providing there is room anyway.

[Linked Image from comp-utility.com]

Note the demarc on the right.
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/12/08 04:57 PM
My problem is that every voice installation of any significance in which I have been involved was specified with patch panels...

Never use patch panels. That was obviously specified by a geek.

usually on a rack.

Lose the rack too!

Also, they specified Cat 5E or Cat 6 cabling with 8P8C jacks of equivalent rating for the voice

Yup, it was a geek alright. Real men don't use CAT5 or 6 for voice.

I think you have a tough row to hoe if you want to teach this stuff. It looks like you are just as confused as your students. You are confused because of the crap the geeks want and the BICSI stuff. Forget all that and just study the picture above. THAT'S how a telephone system is done. No patch panels, no CAT5, no "RJ45" jacks.

The white drops from the jacks are on the left and get individually punched down in order (Left to right, top to bottom jack 1 will be on block 1, clips 1-8) on the split 50 pair 66 blocks, looks like 1 through 16.

The station port 25 pair cables from the system get punched down in order (again left to right, top to bottom) on blocks 17-22.

A single pair white/blue crossconnect wire then runs (jumpers) from the station blocks to the premises wiring blocks to connect the system extension to the jack wiring. That's what you see running down around the spools then back up.

The CO DEMARC is on the far right. In this case the lines may be brought in on PRI because I don't see any cross connect wiring. But for normal CO trunks the method is the same as the extension/jack premises wiring. There will be a block on the right with the CO lines on it as part of the DEMARC. There will also be a block to the right of the last system extension block for the system CO lines. Each CO line gets connected (again with cross connect wire) from the DEMARC block to the system CO lines block.

Dedicated CO lines such as for a fax, modem or credit card machine that are not associated with the system get cross connected directly from the CO DEMARC block right over to the clips on the block for the jack where they will be connected.

That's all you need to know.

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/12/08 07:51 PM
Hal, a lot of times with the bigger Inter-Tel AXXESS installs we put the cabinets in a rack and run 25 pair cables to the blocks on the wall. Some customers do want patch panels so they can change things around themselves. Not saying I agree with that though.
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/13/08 06:01 AM
I'll look to see if I have any basic Voice manuals for you. We may have something that you could use in school.

Listen to what these guys are saying. Look at that picture - Nice, neat and half the price (maybe less) of a rack job with panels. Voice patch panels are for yahoos who can't use a punch tool. They're expensive and create an absolutely disgusting looking job. They're also extremely limiting. Suppose you want to use some of the other pairs in a particular cable for another application - what do you do then? Hang a splitter off the panel? Please!

Re' the posted picture - My personal preference is to run the Xconnecxts over the top instead of the bottom and put the CO lines on the left - but like I said that's a personal preference. I also sometimes stand the backboard off the wall with kindorf (strut) and run the cables behind the board. That's also a personal preference and one that a lot of people here don't agree with (I think it only works if you predrill all the holes -including futures and drag them). We all have slightly different views as to what makes a perfect job - but patch panels for voice are not one of them.

Keep asking questions. That's the best way to learn.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/13/08 06:46 AM
Some customers do want patch panels so they can change things around themselves.

I'll send them to you Jeff, they won't get them
from me.

My personal preference is to run the Xconnecxts over the top instead of the bottom...

I agree, the spools should always be on the top with the wiring on top of them. If you think about it they are there not only to organize the cross connect wiring but also to support it. They can't do that very well with the wires running along the bottom of them. In order to keep the cross connects from sagging it looks like the installer "banjo'd" the wiring to keep it tight which is a no-no. There should be some slack at both ends of each jumper so that you can pull on it to see where its going.

-Hal
Posted By: MrSparky2U Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/13/08 07:59 AM
Ken - I am comfortable with networking and star topology. It's just the basics of getting the voice into the network that I've been trying to grasp. This forum has helped immensely and I appreciate all of the advice. I liked the way you put it into electrical terms. If you don't mind, I would like to "borrow" your analogy for my class.

In the picture, the demarc is partially cut off. I would expect to see some type of cross connect from that block over to the other blocks on the left or at least up to the phone system. Other than that, everything else in the picture is very clear to me.

Can somebody please explain pri to me?

Hal - The only reason I have been using the patch panels and racks is because it was specified that way. However, I cannot recall one of my instructors (or an engineer for that matter) ever suggesting anything other then patch panels unless the customer was adamant about saving money on the installation. 66 & 110 blocks have commonly been represented as obsolete technology, that's why I have found my way to this forum to get the facts about this stuff. I was brainwashed to believe that everything should be run through patch panels and at data levels to provide "the most flexibility" for the customer. After spending only a few days on this forum, I now know that patch panels actually limit your options with voice application. From now on, I will be better equipped to inform my customers of the proper way do it. As far as being confused and teaching is concerned. I've been asked to teach Structured Cabling which, according to the course materials they are using, is basically a networking class. They want me to teach the studends what I have learned from BICSI including how to terminate the jacks (copper and fiber), the basics of network topolgy, the code as it relates to networking and 568B. I don't have a problem with any of that stuff, so teaching the subject they are looking for is covered. I'm trying to go a step beyond what they expect and teach these students this portion of the project that has never been taught to me. When I get to this topic in class, I will teach them everything I know about the subject (everything that I know is correct). It may not be everything they need to know to complete a project on their own, but at this point, anything I teach them about voice (the proper way) will be better than what they have been taught to date. As I learn more about this topic, I will incorporate it into future classes. Your description of the picture is very helpful. Thanks.

Sam - This program actually has a book to use. I have been putting together a lesson plan built around it, but it is not the greatest textbook. The program director even warned me in advance that the book was not too good. They are open to going with a different book or books in the future so if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I like the idea of standing the board off of the wall. I can see where that would really clean up the look.
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/13/08 09:35 AM
A PRI is a Prmary Rate Interface. Essentially it's a T-1 Span Line (A 4 wire Circuit with a bandwidth of 1.544 mbs, also called a DS-1). A standard Voice T-1 has 24 channels of 64kbs each all of which can be DS0s (normal telephone [POTS] lines). A PRI only uses 23 channels for Voice Lines and 1 channel to carry signalling information (Caller ID etc.) Google it, you'll get a much fuller, better explanation.

T-1s are also very often used to provide WAN access to routers.

I'll get you book names in a day or two and I'll see if I can scan some pamphlets for you.

I always found that standing the backboard off the wall was a real help if you had a large job where the bundle of wires coming down the wall to sweep up into the bottom of the blocks was very large. I found using standoffs made the job faster and neater. On smaller jobs though I wouldn't bother. There's no problem keeping 20 cables nice & neat - but 200+! The subject is a source of some serious disagreement on the board, and I will say, I believe I'm in the minority. (I still think I'm right though).

Sam
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/13/08 02:54 PM
Well, I looked at books and Manuals and found nothing current.

A book in my library that I often used as a reference is:

"Voice/Data Telecommunications Systems: An Introduction to Technology" by Michael L. Gurrie and Patrick J. O'Connor

It is however from 1986. Amazon says they've got 22 for sale from $2.05 to $178.20 each.

You might want one for yourself as a reference, but it wouldn't do for a classroom book for students.

The question is: What do you want to teach them about voice? How to run cable and terminate it? How to design and layout a job? How to Install and program a PBX? A CO? How to do Outside Plant work? Carrier?

There is a multitude of work that comes under the heading of Telephone, the same way there is a multitude of work that comes under the heading of Electrical.

Are we doing Residential, with 120V receptacles, ceiling fans, the occasional 3 way switch and a 220V Air Conditioner Line? Are we bringing in a 200 Amp 120/208 service and wiring the oil burner?

Are we doing small commercial work - storefronts, fluorescents, freezers, 7-11s etc.

Bigger Commercial work - Office cubicles, 277 lighting & 480 motors, Big services? Decks? Rigid conduit, 4" EMT?

Industrial - Factories? Powerhouses?

Do you see where I'm going?

Frankly if you're going to be teaching this to an IBEW class, ask the Education Director what sort of Telephone work he's looking to capture and go from there. Once he or she decides, come back and I'll be happy to try to point you in the right direction.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/13/08 03:23 PM
I always found that standing the backboard off the wall was a real help if you had a large job where the bundle of wires coming down the wall to sweep up into the bottom of the blocks was very large.

I have no problem with that and I've sometimes done that myself. Drop them down behind the board then out the bottom and up into the blocks. I'm just against holes in the backboard behind the blocks with the wires coming through them that you can't see.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/14/08 05:07 AM
Hal -

I've done it both ways. Drilling holes in the backboard works well if you've got too many cables to fit under the blocks going in one direction and otherwise would have to bring them in from both top & bottom.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: I need some help on the basics - 08/14/08 06:36 AM
I can see your point. Really that's the only way to do it in that case.

-Hal
Posted By: Copet Re: I need some help on the basics - 04/14/11 11:33 PM
one of our sale branches is having issues with incoming calls: one call can get picked up by two terminals and two people often get to talk to one caller. AT&T says their end is clear and the one we sent out to check within the circuit says the last guy who touched the cables kind of switched out some lines. But that last tech was just for the store's burglar and fire alarm lines.

I'm a complete dummy here, any advise will be greatly appreciated.

and by the way, a warm Hello to everyone!
I'm a newbie here and am really excited to browse through the forums.
Posted By: Clinton Re: I need some help on the basics - 04/14/11 11:53 PM
Welcome to the forum!

If you have a question, please use the "Post New Topic" button underneath the Advertise button near the top of the page. Posting in an old thread like this just causes some confusion, and your question may not be seen by very many people.

We try to avoid adding to threads that are old and/or resolved.

Thanks!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help