OK, folks. I was hoping to not drag this topic back out, and hence another of my sermons. I can't resist, so here's a short one:

RJ means Registered Jack. RJ is a uniform wiring standard for any telephone company in the United States to follow; it's a wiring pattern, not a piece of hardware. This standard was developed by the FCC in the late 1960's/early 1970's so that customers could have the same jack installed anywhere in the country without conflict. The RJ number was understood by ANY telephone company nationwide. All phone equipment had the "RJ" requirement included on a label attached to it. It seemed to be a relatively foolproof strategy until CAT5 cabling for data came along. Then it went to hell in a handbasket, literally.

I can name at least ten RJ configurations that can be wired on the same 8-wire jack. Yes, an 8 position jack can be wired as an RJ11. Imagine that!

There was never a 10 position RJ in North America, period.

10 position plugs/connectors were designed for proprietary use with computers and cell phones. There was never a 10 conductor connector used for voice equipment connected to the public network.

To reiterate: RJ is a wiring diagram, A.K.A: schematic that can be applied to many different pieces of hardware.

I think it's reached the point that there's no solution here. I give up....this issue has become a lost cause....the computer geeks win.

Just let me up, I've had enough in trying to correct the world's error on this subject and I have bigger fish to fry. Hal, am I wasting my fingertips here?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX