Trace,
HDSL whichever form/generation you use IS distance sensitive. For HDSL2 (2-wire) what sparked your original question, the maximum is 9 Kft for 26 gage; 12 Kft for 24 gage, and 22 Kft on barbwire (19 gage.) Other factors DO play a role in it too. I.E. How much is buried (constant 70 degree F temp) and whether the cable is pic (plastic insulators) or pulp (paper insulation.) So your cabin on the mountain “could” get T1 service on 2-wire if it had good 19 gage cable and was within’ 4 miles or so of a remote. … BUT more than likely I’d be using HDSL4 with up to two repeaters to get to your country home with a view. As long as you was within’ say 7.5 miles from a remote (calculated on 24 gage)

Is there any truth to service being degradated if other similar services were added after yours? …. Uhhhh… My professional opinion is, “kind-a.” LOL. For your HDSL2, no. You really can run a sheath full of those. When applying HSDL 4-wire technology you’re supposed to apply separations to the pair assignments. (Keeping transmit and receive pair out of the SAME 25-pair binder.) If you start running a bunch of Tx’s and Rx’s together in the same 25 count… there’s a CHANCE things will get a little “flakey.”

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)