Originally posted by ev607797:
That leaves us with * and #. The suggestions made about using the IPO claim it will do this. I have to ask.......

What about CO features, such as *67 to block caller ID or *69 for return call or *57 for call trace?

Since most CO features use *, I suppose that the # key can do the CO disconnect/transfer to dial tone, but is this really possible?

This being said, how can any other system features be accessed without sacrificing the * codes for CO line features?

Call me forever the critic, but I am not buying it. I still don't think that people are really reading the original question.
For a little clarification for the ones not familiar with the programming of the IP Office.

When a user picks up the phone (unless programmed differently) they get system dial tone that sounds like standard CO dial tone.

When a use dials a number it first looks for a matching extension number, then checks through the user shortcodes, then system shortcodes, followed by least cost routing.

The default programming is set for users to dial "9" to access outside lines. This can EASILY be changed to match any dialing habits the user might want or have.

Here is an example without getting into the programming too much. In Houston, TX we have 3 local area codes and all numbers dialed are at least 10 digit dialing. Area codes 713,281, and 832 are 10 digit dial.

So to be able to dial out directly without dialing 9 first you program 3 shortcodes
281xxxxxxx
713xxxxxxx
832xxxxxxx
Each set to dial out on whatever line group you want. This will match all 10 digit dialed calls in the Houston area.
For long distance and toll free service a similar shortcode is created to do the same thing.
1xxxxxxxxxx
That will match all national calls without the need for dialing "9" first.
In the system with the above shortcodes, extensions must be assigned numbers starting with 3,4,5,6, or 2 if extension don't go beyond 280 or skip 281. 1xx extension can be used also but will cause a bit of a delay waiting to time out looking for additional digits.

All other system and/or CO features can be programmed as needed using shortcodes that can be accessed via any phone with dtmf keypad.

The IP Office is the closest thing to an exact match given the listed requirements. As it has been said by several others, many other systems would work great and possibly better if the requirements were changed slightly. (Most of the other options are also much cheaper!)