Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#589375 05/26/15 10:01 PM
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Hey, guys. Just picked up a 451B Music on Hold card, and from what I'm reading it seems this is a 40 pin card. I've wanted to add MOH to my 1A2 setup for some time, but these cards seem to be rarer than hen's teeth. Now my problem is finding a card slot/carrier/cage to mount this baby in. Can anyone help me on this one?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Chris -

That's a WECO card and I'm afraid I know nothing about it. In the non-bell world we used an ITT 403 card to provide isolation. A 20 pin card slot I'm familiar with. 40 pin - not so much.

I'll see if I can dig something up. In the meantime maybe Ed or Arthur will pipe up with an answer.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Sam, I was surprised when I looked up the BSP for it. I'd never heard of a 4 inch, 40 pin card. Granted, my knowledge of 1A2 pales in comparison to that of some of the members, on here. Apparently it provides isolation for 7 lines. I would love to find a K403 card and use that, since most of my line cards are now K400E cards. I still have my pile of modified 400D WECO cards, I'm just not using them right now. I like the ITT cards, because they use jumpers for bridged/grounded ringing and have pins for MOH, which the WECO 400D's don't. I have some later WECO cards, 400H I think, that I just can't stand. They had "issues" with going on hold as I remember.

Edit: This isn't a ComKey card, is it?

Last edited by ChrisRR; 05/27/15 01:18 AM.
Per BSP 518-215-402, there were a bunch of 4"/40-pin KTUs. A lot of those KTUs appeared to be high-level in functionality (such as multi-line exclusion or conferencing).

What kind of KSU are you using? I know for a fact that 513/515-type KSUs have a bunch of slots that accept 4"/40-pin KTUs. I think one of the 620-type panels accepted 8" KTUs as well, and 8" KTU slots can support 4" KTUs. (Incidentally, I've got a spare WE 513 KSU kicking around if you wanted to upgrade.)

Last edited by njh621; 05/30/15 10:20 PM.
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Right now I'm using an ITT 601 KSU, but I also have a 551C shoebox tucked away. I'm still waiting to hear back on some 584 panels(I think- 13 slot cages) but no news yet. I just need some way to break out the pins to a 66 block so I can cross connect everything. I would rather not frankenstein this card since they're pretty rare.

Per the BSP the 584 panel doesn't have a 40-pin slot. Doing a little digging in the BSPs I think you need either a 642A panel or a 602-type panel. I seem to recall there was a 620-type panel that had the typical power pins wired, but all of the other pins were accessible to the installer.

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
I know the 584 panels don't have 40 pin slots. They are all, I believe, 18 pin slots. It was something I was interested in as far as expanding my setup. I have a couple call directors now, and a dozen or so C*Net lines, plus 3 regular "POTS" lines, so I needed a little more than the 4 lines of my shoebox and 6 lines from my 601. The 584 and some 66 blocks, along with that big power supply I found in a motel, would have made a nice tidy setup with decent capacity. The setup I have now is kind of hackneyed. It works for me, but since backboard space is at such a premium, I could have gotten a lot more with a 584 than with the prepackaged KSU's. I'm open to just about any option as long as it doesn't cost me a bloody fortune just to add MOH. Rewiring doesn't deter me any. It's just a matter of setting the time aside to do it.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
As I recall, San Bar made a "584" panel with some 20 pin slots. Nobody I know of besides WECO used 40 or 80 pin cards.

If you really want MOH then continue to look for a 403 card. Or.....

A cheap and dirty way out is to provide MOH - ONLY - on one line. The problems occur when you add additional lines and you get crosstalk. By only providing MOH on one line you eliminate the problems.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Sam, I could do that. in fact, I have tried doing exactly that and I get some funky things going on with the line going unbalanced and impedance mismatches and what not. I'm smart enough to read a schematic, solder jumpers or cross-connect wires to the pins of this card and tie them off on a 66 block and be on my way. The thing is, I don't want to do that. It looks hackish, and it otherwise ruins a perfectly good card that's a pretty rare bird. I want to do it right, neat, and as by the book as I could manage. If someone was willing to part with a K403 for a price that isn't stupid, I would abandon using this WECO card and just roll with that. Other thing I could do is mount this card in a pretty box with a 25pr connector on the side and have all my soldered hackery inside the box and out of sight, then just cut down a connectorized cable on a 66 block and cross wire from that. I really want to avoid doing something to this card I can't undo, but that will likely be my solution if something better doesn't turn up. I am certainly open to suggestions.

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
So, just thought I would come back and post my solution. If I think of it, I'll post a picture. I picked up a 601A card carrier, I guess you would call it. I think it's meant to be attached to a rack of some sort. Anyway, it is intended for three 8" WECO dial intercom cards. It has six 40 pin card slots, and would ordinarily take a 10 station card, a TT adapter card, and a "bells and whistles" card for the DT and flashing lights and other such hoopla. I modified the lower right slot by removing all the wire wrapped connections and storing them away and, following the schematic, wrapped and soldered a 25 pair cable to the pins in such a way that the wht/blu pair is CO L1, and the wht/org pair is STA L1 and so on alternating between CO and STA. The final pair, blk/slt is the music input. I have to say it works very well. I just put the card carrier on a shelf and punched down the 25 pair on the KSU block on the backboard. Arthur was right about one important fact... This card ONLY works with 400D line cards. It utilizes the imbalance placed on the line when going on hold to inject the music. It WILL NOT work with any other cards. My ITT K400E cards are dead silent when on hold with this card. I did find an interesting solution, however. With this card, the music is only placed on CO ring and station ring, the two tips are just tied together. I only had 3 400D cards, so to make the fourth line have MOH, I used the two ring leads(CO and STA)on an unused line from the MOH card and tied them to the MOH inputs on the ITT card. Voila!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,322
Posts638,969
Members49,779
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,286 Shoretel
190,557 CTX100 install
189,029 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, NateBates, tech3500), 287 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024