web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
The way to avoid blowing fuses is to power the system down while you are working on it.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

TelcoBoy
Unregistered
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
Good morning guys,

I finally installed all the 15 fuses on the top of my unit. It took me a little while because I had screws that were stuck. They were so stuck that I had to remove the unit from the wall to be able to finally unscrew the hard ones.

I have a brand new KSU, but my god is it OLD !

After following your advise, I read and read the documents and finally understood what I was reading.

I have powered the unit with all fuses installed. I let the unit powered for two days. I wanted to evaluate the unit and the fuses.
Everything was perfect even after all these years in storage.

Now, just to make sure that I understood what was doing, I added one CO line to the unit.
I wanted to see if the unit would take the incoming ringing process. It did, the motor and the straps were in good condition.
Everything seems to work fine. The little motor makes a smooth sound and runs perfectly.

I had to change the CO card in the unit though, the first time I called in the unit I had nothing happening.

I replaced the CO card ( 400H KTU Issue 2) by the
CO card ( 400H KTU Co/PBX Line CKT) to make it work.

I don't know why the first one did not work?

I have jumpers on both of these cards.
Does anyone know or have the user guide for these cards?

I would like to know what the jumpers are used for and what they offer when they are removed or changed.

Just to let you know I did not use a CO trunk to make my first test. I used an analogue extension from my BCM50.

I will wait for your answers before I continue my trip with my unit.

Thanks for the solution for the replacement fuses but if someone has some spare fuses to sell I would be willing to buy them from you.
I would like to keep the original parts for my unit if possible!

Thanks and have a good day! smile

Stephane

Arthur would know for sure, but I think the jumpers are for music on hold and possibly for ringing.

Reapiring the fuses with fuse wire will insure your fuses will always be "original." Just use a low wattage pencil iron and replace the operated fuse wire with a new piece.

The BCM does not provide true 90 VAC ringing. It uses a modified pulsating DC to mimic AC ringing. For most equipment, it works. 400 KTUs can be finicky when it comes to ringing voltage. There may even be a jumper for that on the newest KTUs.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The jumpers (option plugs in your case) on CO line cards are for two main functions. One is flashing or steady lamp on incoming calls. The other is for bridged or grounded CO ringing. On earlier card versions, they also had an option for interrupted or steady station ringing.

My guess as to why the first card didn't ring on your BCM dial tone is that it must be strapped for grounded ringing instead of bridged ringing. Again, that is just a guess.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The "user guide" is called a Bell System Practice. Remeber the one I referenced to get you familiar with the KSU? To find a BSP for any Western Electric item, use Google, and search for the model name or number, followed by the term "BSP" and (optionally) "TCI library."

The screws are tight because the are not supposed to be removed. Did you not notice that the fuses are open-ended?

To find out what the jumpers do (you shouldn't really need to do anything with them, because the factory settings should be just what you need) Google the BSP for the particular issue you are using.

Here's what you said: "I wanted to see if the unit would take the incoming ringing process. It did, the motor and the straps were in good condition."

The motor is called an interrupter (again, PLEASE refer to the BSP for the correct names of things.) What do you mean by "straps were in good condition."?

Arthur P. Bloom

TelcoBoy
Unregistered
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
Hello Arthur,

I was able to download the document for the 400H line card. I read it a few times to try and understand it. It doesn't say much on the jumpers, but I will find out ! smile

I thought I read somewhere that the interrupter had straps that could be moved in different positions.

When I plugged in my unit for the first time and made my first incoming call I heard the interrupter work smoothly.

Thinking that there were straps making everything turn properly, that is why I stated that the straps where in good condition.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I will be more careful!

My next step is to wire my first station. I only have a logic10 telephone. I will get the right documents for this set and get familiar with it first.

I would've perferred starting with a 2564 model but cannot find one on eBay yet!

Anyone have these for sell?

Stephane

TelcoBoy
Unregistered
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
Hi guys,

I am having problems with my installation.
Here is what I have done so far:

1. connected an analogue line from my BCM50 to the 1A2 unit
on pins 13G and 14G on block 1
2. connected the T R to pins 13 and 14 on block 1
3. connected the A A1 to pins 15 and 16 on block 1
4. connected the L LG to pins 17 and 18 on block 1

I am using a touch tone logic 10 for my testing. Now when I call in the 1A2 unit the light starts flashing for the incoming call. When I press the flashing key on the logic 10 phone and pick the handset the light is on and steady but the call is not picked up. If I hang up the light starts to flash again announcing an incoming call !
No dial tone on the set.
Hum ...

This is what I tried to resolve this issue but with no luck !
I tried using the phone line directly from my cable modem, no luck.
I tried to move the jumpers on the line card 400H (Co/Pbx), no luck.
I tried to change the line card for an identical on, no luck.
I tried to try another line card 400H (Issue 2), no luck.
I tried to move the jumpers around, no luck.
All my fuses are good.

Don't know what to do?

When you call in the flashing light of the key is at one speed. The flashing light on hold is at a faster speed. It is so you can tell if a call is coming in or a line is on hold when multiple lights are flashing. It appears the A and A1 are functioning since you can trip the interrupter by going off hook, however the dialtone or incoming call are not cutting through the ksu when the A and A1 short through the key when it is depressed. When you hang up it appears that the ksu is going into false hold condition. I think you have a compatibility issue between your ksu and telephone set.

Do you have a hand test set, buttin, butt set, buttinski, goat? If yes you can disconnect the phone and test from the 66 block.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
You have given us half the information we need to help you. You have described an incoming call and its problems.

What happens when you try to make an outgoing call, using exactly the same dial tone source, KSU, KTU, wiring and telephone set?

(John, we do not know if he means that the line goes on false hold, or if he means that the incoming ring from an un-tripped call, has started the interrupter again.)

Arthur P. Bloom

The fact that the call reverts to incoming again upon hanging up is indicative of the absence of a complete talk path to answer the call. Logic phones had a connector on the side to accommodate a speakerphone set. In order to function, I think that there was an option plug that intercepted the tip/ring from the keystrip to allow the speakerphone to have priority of the line that was selected. With this plug not in place, tip and ring never get seized upon going off-hook.

It would be much easier to diagnose this if the OP had another 1A2 set to use for testing.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,292
Posts638,825
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,525 Shoretel
189,253 CTX100 install
187,590 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (JBean3329, BobRobert), 98 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024