Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
OP Offline
Thinking about a long wire antenna in my attic, which is oriented N-S. This house was struck by lightning about 12 years ago. House was built in 1998. I'm wondering if I should put up lightning rods, do nothing for protection, use some sort of Ditek or whatever protection, or forget the whole idea. (Got an OOLLLDDDD Philco Console AM-SW radio from 1939) The house in Salina, KS, that was built in 1925, actually had a antenna-ground plate, that looked like an outlet plate, with 1 1/8inch hole in each outlet hole.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If it's in the attic I really don't think you need to worry. -Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Hal, in retrospect you're probably right. The entire heat/cool system is up there with aluminum ducting, air handler with heat coils and AC evaporator. Heck, maybe I should just tie into the ducting and isolate it from the air handler.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Unless you're in a lightning prone area, a properly installed long wire antenna should be no more of a concern than an aluminum gutter. The key to any good antenna instillation is using good insulators and a good, heavy duty building entry arrester. Aruba, HP Procurve and just about anything from Tesco will protect your home and still provide you with excellent DXing.

With all the metal in the attic, I would not be surprised if you got poor reception if you stick the antenna in the attic.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Many years ago back in the 70's, at a customer's insistance I installed a VHF TV antenna in his attic. My policy was that we never install antennas in attics. Despite a large preamp on the antenna, signal levels were still low but did result in an acceptable picture on his sets.

That fall I get a call from him saying that all of a sudden the reception is terrable. I go up into the attic to find that he moved all his wrought iron patio furniture up there for winter storage and some of it was right under the antenna. The jackass wouldn't believe me when I told him I told you so and that was the problem.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Do we have the same model(ish)?
Philco 1938

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
OP Offline
No, but that's certainly a beauty! Mines a 1939 with push buttons. Been damaged in the ribs, but, oh well. 25 years ago I did an electronic rebuild, all new tubes and electrolytics! Even an NOS power cord, that had to be cut off 2 years later because the insulation started crumbling.

Last edited by Lightninghorse; 09/05/12 12:22 PM.

I have a Halicrafters Skybuddy like this one

https://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/S19.html

(lower picture as I have the toggle switch for send/receive)

I'm a black & white type of guy.....the only grey in my life is the hair on my head!
OP Offline
Yeah, that's a beauty, as well. Maybe we'd better come up with a website that's "Sundance" for tube-type radios. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Lightninghorse; 09/07/12 02:38 PM.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,321
Posts638,961
Members49,779
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,254 Shoretel
190,509 CTX100 install
188,967 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (pvj, Toner, Yoda), 272 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024