Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
skip555 Offline OP
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
OP Offline
customer has a 60,000 foot warehouse , she wanted alarm put on 5 doors that would signal over the paging system .(door needs to be unlocked for fire )

I put door contacts on and am using the dry contact to trigger night ring over the valcom paging system when a door opens

works fine .

issue is if someone where to cut a wire leading to a door the system wouldn't work .

so I need to change the door contacts to normally closed and run power . then have a relay give me a dry contact for the night ring .

how much voltage do I need ? and any suggestion on a relay or is there a better way to do this ?

paging is valcom v2003 with 4 1030 horns

longest door run about 350'

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The Valcom V2003 can supply you with 24vdc so just pick up a 24vdc relay (and socket) from an electrical supplier (Omron or similar).

The long run shouldn't bother you too much, actually it will be much longer if you take into account that all doors will now be wired in series. Not much current draw though, just the relay coil, there will be a voltage drop but relays are pretty forgiving on low voltage.

Are these external contacts? If they are, you may still have another problem. If they are smart enough now to cut a wire, it won't be long until they figure out how to short those screw terminals out!

skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks
I hadn't thought about using the valcom 2003 for power (DUH)

the contacts are exposed but I 'll see if I can get some snap on covers ,if not I can cobble up some up kind of cover

I was looking at one of these from sandman for the relay
universal relay
https://www.sandman.com/wizard.html#UniversalRelay

or the latching relay

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
I did a similar system to what you are doing and used a latching relay. I wired a key switch on the relay so if an employee opened and closed the door quickly, the relay would latch and require a supervisor to reset it with the key switch. They also gave a key to the night cleaner so he could disable the system for garbage detail.

I ended up using 3/4" concealed contacts drilled into the door frame because the employees kept tampering with the wires. Putting a paper clip across the screw terminals was the popular trick.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,335
Posts639,033
Members49,785
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,534 Shoretel
190,864 CTX100 install
189,301 1a2 system
Newest Members
gianluca, Micheal C, etel, AVO-IT, wierderal
49,785 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rupert 11
tim10 10
Yoda 8
Toner 7
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 134 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024