web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#477502 12/15/08 01:32 PM
I also always ASSumed that FiOS was just a transmission medium that went back to the same switch in the CO as copper and naturally maintained the same features. Then again I have yet to see Centrex over FiOS.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#477503 12/15/08 02:11 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Hal, let's remember that Verizon is building the FIOS network as a entirely separate and unregulated system that is completely independent of their LEC networks. Number portability is allowing existing customers to keep their local numbers. They are using soft switches that are completely independent of the regulated industry part of doing business.

If Verizon has their way, which I'm sure that they will, they will build the FIOS network big enough to where they can start jacking people around on rates like cable companies can. They will be able to do this since FIOS has nothing to do with LEC responsibilities or regulations.

Verizon will grow FIOS, sell it off to a holding company or even a completely independent investor. Their LEC operations will become nothing but a transport medium for CLEC business. They will just sit back and watch the dollars fly at the expense of the poor folks who saw their introductory FIOS package rates as being irresistible.

Now these people have forever removed their account from the regulated LEC network. They can't go back. They are now puppets on the string of an unregulated service provider. Like Vonage, they can charge absolutely, positively anything that they want for FIOS services and there's nothing that their customers can do about it.

U-Verse from "the new at&t" is just as bad. Don't be surprised to see U-Verse and FIOS sharing the same bed within five years. There is NO money left in the regulated part of the telephone industry. These companies are selling their customers off as quickly as they can to reduce their visible profits as an LEC. It's all a game at the gullible customers' expense.

If any customer insists upon using FIOS, U-Verse or their local LEC's equivalent, all I can say is that you should urge them to keep at least one line at the premises on copper. That way, they have not completely (and contractually) removed themselves from the regulated network. With working copper still connected to the premises, there's a chance that a customer can go back to POTS. You also need to insist that when customers order their phone service that they insist upon copper and not FIOS facilities. If they make no preference, they will be stuck with FIOS by default.

Once the number of copper customers reaches a certain threshold, Verizon will deem these markets to be unprofitable and pull out of the territory like they did in New England last year.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#477504 12/16/08 12:32 AM
OP Offline
Indeed what you wrote is true, Ed. However, the customers still have a play in their pocket: Cell phones. If the LEC (Verizon in this case) jacks prices up too much then customers can viably leave them and have no home phone at all. I could also leave their TV and internet if I wanted to as I am on a month to month payment rather than a year contract. Also with the competition of "digital phone" and internet packages from the cable companies Verizon should hopefully be kept in check....

Steve

#477505 12/16/08 12:34 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Malthegreater:

That's very interesting to me. It's not stated that the feature doesn't work with FiOS either:

https://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/CustomerSupport/Guides/UG_VAS_West.pdf
Ahh, but that is where they get you...it does not say that it DOES work with FIOS call

Steve

#477506 12/16/08 06:02 AM
Interesting. I did not know that they were operating FiOS in that manner.

And Tampasteve, touche. smile

--Matt
#477507 12/16/08 10:15 AM
Here's another example of how they are not only corralling their customers into a separate entity, but once they have them in the pen, they call all of the shots with regard to what the customers can get over their unregulated facilities. Not only do they rope a customer into being their customer for life, but equal access rights go right out the window since they no longer have to follow regulated utility guidelines as mandated by the FCC. Remember, they are now effectively a "communications" service provider, not a regulated telco.

FIOS, UVerse and FTTN, (among others) customers will no longer have the right to choose the service provider of their choice. Something to think about!

Take a LOOK .

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#477508 11/11/11 06:16 AM
Originally posted by tampasteve:
So, whatever was wrong seems to have been worked out. I never received a call from Verizon, but it has not happened again for a few days. I am just happy it stopped!

Originally posted by Malthegreater:
[b] On a PRI and some other systems you can set what you want to send as your caller id. To me it seems likely that a company somewhere has a dialer programmed incorrectly with this woman's phone number as the caller id being sent out on the Q.931 which is why it's coming up for you with *69.
That was my first thought too....and is still what I am leaning towards what happened.

Originally posted by dagwoodsystems:
After receiving the harassment call, immediately hang up. Next, dial *57 (you must do this before any other call comes in). Hopefully, you will hear a recording with instructions for completing the call trace.
Unfortunately call trace through * codes does not work on FIOS (at least that is what they told me, and when I tried anyway it did not work). That was a good idea though! Thanks for the help! :toast:

Steve [/b]
It's worth noting whether or not you have FiOS Digital Voice, or standard POTS calling. I'd hope the VSC for trace works with FiOS POTS.

One terminates in the cloud, one terminates on a real ESS.

#477509 11/11/11 12:06 PM
I've had similar DMS issues. However the normal fix wont apply to your situation.

Are you receiving other calls normally? or do they ring trip aswell?

#477510 11/11/11 06:47 PM
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Guys, this thread was started three years ago!

I'd hope that the calls have stopped by now!!

#477511 11/12/11 02:09 AM
Andy is new to the board and is prolly still finding his way around--tenex too has just 13 posts.

I've never been offended by old topics being opened back up as some still apply.

And for the topics that no longer apply...well, they're part of the "proving ground"--if you will--for the new guys.

I give 'em a wide berth.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,434 Shoretel
189,205 CTX100 install
187,448 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024