Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep, Cat3 for voice Mr. Jeff! (it's a walk-in cooler...)

Kristopher
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Push a ball chain through on one side and a magnet in the other if you can see the light this shouldn't be to hard

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
You can buy a 4 foot flexible drill bit at an electrical supply store, it will have a hole in the bit end to put a string through which you can then pull back through your drilled hole. You can also cut the flex bit down to any length you want to make it easier to manage. The drill part is only about 2 inches long, the rest is a flexible shaft
MArk

Most bell hanger bits have a hole in them just behind the cutting end. Purpose is for situations like yours. Drill your hole and leave the bit in the hole sticking out the other side. Go around and stick a piece of #22 wire through the hole, twist it in the flutes and twist it together so it won't pull off. Now go back to your drill and WITHOUT turning it on just pull the bit and wire back through. Now you have a drag line for your wire.

As for the way you are trying to do it, it is very unlikely that you will be able to just drill the hole and stick the wire through. It's too flexible and not straight so unless you like frustration don't even try. If you don't do the wire through the bit trick above you will have to use a piece of 1/8" fish tape or stiff wire, (something like ceiling hanger wire or bailing wire works good) at least long enough to go through the wall. Put the wire in the hole and patiently probe for the other side.

This is called fishing and anybody installing wiring needs to have the expertise and simple "tools" to get wiring through holes and wall spaces.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Sounds to me like he's coming down between the two units (the 1/4" space) and has drilled a horizontial hole into that 1/4" vertical space, at least that's the way I took it.

Retired phone dude
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
That's the way it is justbill. I have equip/knowledge on fishing wires, but here's how this one is:
I have drilled a hole horizontally through the cooler wall. To get the wire into the hole, I have to go outside the cooler, take apart the drop-down cieling, get above the cooler, and look at where the two coolers are wedged together. It is less than 1/4" between the coolers.

So the wire needs to go Down 5" through the 1/4" gap, then horizontally 5-6" into the cooler.

I am working on a few things. The gap isn't big enough and fish tape isn't flexible enough to get it through the gap after the horizontal break.

I am going to try justbill's string technique, then tie some metal barbs to some fishing line and see if I can get it out of the gap magnetically.

Thanks for the help. I am going back tuesday to work on it.

Kristopher
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Kris, here's what I would try:

From inside the cooler, take the chuck end of the bell hanger bit (or a glowrod) and put a piece of fishing line through the hole in the bit. Push the end with the string through the hole as far as you can and then bring the bit back in just a tad creating a small loop on the line. If possible, push more of the line through the hole to make a bigger loop.

From up top, take a piece of #12 solid, strip off the end and make a hook. Use that to "fish" for your string.

Actually, I would proabaly just drill through the top of the cooler and run the wire that way. Would that be possible?

-Larry

Originally posted by metelcom:
Push a ball chain through on one side and a magnet in the other if you can see the light this shouldn't be to hard
The other way ‘round might be easier… Dangle the ball and/or fixture chain down between the two coolers… Stick a telescoping pen magnet through you horizontal hole to grab it.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, I'll try those ideas today to see if I can pull anything through.

Hopefully a magnet will work since the magnet will stick to the walls too.

Kristopher
Well ok I see what you are up against now. The tubing trick above would make this easier. Put a piece of tubing through the wall then push a piece of something like #24 wire through it. I would try to put a loop on the end so you can hook it. Then go outside and with a fish tape with a small hook on the end try to hook it.

Ya know, this brings up another point too. Sounds like you are trying to do this by yourself. I always like to have a helper to handle one end, you do the other. If you can't yell use radios or Nextels. Sometimes it almost impossible to do stuff like this by yourself or you waste so much time it's not worth it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,609 Shoretel
189,492 CTX100 install
187,712 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yoda, JBean3329), 131 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024