web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
First of all, I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to answer so many questions on such a variety of topics. You are all so knowledgeable and appear to really know how to relay your message in laymen's terms.

Well, that is what I will be asking of you, to help me out in laymen's terms. I have been floundering around trying to make sense of what it is that I am suppose to be doing.

Again, I just want to thank you and say how pleased that I am to have stumbled across 'YOUR' tech-support board. I am looking to inundate you with questions that may at times seem ridiculous, or even plain stupid. At other times you will probably say, "That person doesn't even know THAT, how'd they pass the exam?" Well, I am counting on ALL OF YOU to school me. So, lets begin. Class is in session!

First of all when I ask a question it will always be from an AT&T technicians view. As a novice to troubleshooting, this is where I am having my problems.

AT&T used to have the DSTS testing system for T1.5. Now, there is CTP and it is not user friendly. Just when I was getting the hang of DSTS, they changed and I am lost.

I am confused at the results. Sometimes, I don't know if the results are for the customer's side or the remote side.

Is the system refering to AT&T as the remote? When there is a customer at both ends then which end is considered the remote? CTP gives me results that I do not understand.

Is it the customer's problem or is it the local telephone's problem or is it a problem with AT&T and I should be engaging the on-site-workforce?

There is the ncoe and then there is the alcatel where you put up a testhead. They both give confusing results. What does it all mean? Which way do I look? Which way is upstream and which way is down stream?

AIS
LOS, OOF
YELLOW
EQUIPMENT IN LOOPBACK (is this local or remote)
et cetera

HELP!

Thank you,

Elsevier Lippincott

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

AIS = Alarm Indication Signal, also called blue alarm. An alarm condition exists upstream from the device receiving the alarm.

LOS = Loss of signal. The device cannot detect a valid TDM signal at the physical layer.

OOF = Out of frame. The device cannot synchronize with the framing, typically because of errors on the line.

Yellow alarm = A device upstream is receiving AIS. It transmits yellow alarm back toward the device which originated the AIS signal to let it know there is a problem.

I'm not really sure about any of AT&T's test systems. I work for a CLEC, and if we need to test a T1 we typically test it with a T-BERD at the DSX (cross connect) panel inside the central office. I have worked with Hekimian & their REACT software package, but that was many years ago.

Are you looking for general information, or do you have an actual situation you're trying to troubleshoot?

Ya just don’t have enough information provided here to help you one you direction question…

Determining directionality is actually pretty easy once you get used to looking at these…
1st) You need to determine which end is the A-End (Primary-Location) and the Z-end (Secondary-Location.)
2nd) You also have to determine how you test access point is orientated.
From there it’s just a matter of lookin’ at the correct side of you test access point to the corresponding A or Z end. It’s really just that simple. Don’t miss the forest ‘cause all those damn trees!

Do you have some sort of engineer document for the circuit? WORD Doc? CLR? DLR? If you’re looking for help with a real world example, if you could post a portion of the engineer document records I can translate for you if that would help. Unfortunately, if you confusion is strictly because of CTP, I not going to be much help… I’m not familiar with that test system either.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
SST Offline
When I worked for a CLEC, we started using a a CENTEST. It was a TTC product, the same company that makes the t-berd.

The trick to understanding your orientation on the circuit is to clearly under stand the DLR (design layout record) and where you (your DCS) is in it. You need to picture in your mind the whole circuit path. Choose the DS1 cross connect that is towards your target end. This should be the direction in the ckt you are looking down. Test this by communicating with any techs on site. Loop up and down the NIU or CSU and confirm the loop is on the end you are targeting. Pay attention; take notes and diagrams to keep track of your orientation. If you can set up a test ckt map it through your DCS. Put loops on both ends and monitor it. While it is under monitor pull the loop off of one end and observe the errors and the directions they came. You may even just remove and restore the loop to simulate a hit. Be aware of the manor you are entering the ckt, if going intrusive. Typically you want to be across the tx and rx in one direction. You can enter the ckt with the tx in one direction and the rx from the other. This is to perform a "round-robyn" test of the entire ckt on a point-to-point ckt. When you transmit a loop code, it loops up one end then travels the loop to the far-end, loops up that end, then returns from the other direction.

I would recommend looking for the test diagrams in the tech manuals that should be available to you. In most companies, at least one person gets the tech training from the company of the new equipment. Find this person, they could be your new best friend.

OP Offline
Thank all of you for responding. I work in a Network Managememt Center, NMC, and I have been so overwhelmed with just trying to learn the basics of a circuit and let alone trying to troubleshoot it. You just don't know it, but you have really helped me. I will try to be more specific in my questions.

As far as tech manuals, come on now, I don't know about yours but AT&T's manuals lead you no where and training stopped when I came on board. The most knowledgable person in my office is burnt out, and has stayed too long. This person is very protective of what they know and not willing to share with their fellow co-workers nor are they willing to depart any information with management. SAD!

They have stayed with the company much too long and have burned out, and do not know how to just walk away or re-direct their talent/s. SAD!

So, from now on I am making this sight my best friend. That is, as long as you don't mind helping me; even through my lamebrained questions.

SCENERIO

A = Alpharetta, Ga
Z = Tombstone, Ms

A>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Z

A<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Z

CSU CSU
TP2 TP5
NCOE ALCATEL
TP1-4 TP3-6
TESTPOINT TESTPOINT

The trouble comes in by the Tombstone, Ga customer Z-end that the circuit is down.
I put up an intrusive testhead at TP-6 from Tombstone, Ms Z-end and read the results
at TP-3 Alpharetta, Ga A-end.

Results:

1. AIS
2. LOS, OOF
3. YELLOW
4. EQUIPMENT IN LOOPBACK...is this local or remote
5. OOS
6. OOS-MA
7. Circuit in CGA alarm

Using the above results, what would you do? "IF"? Which end is having the problem when you apply 'IF' to any of the above results?

Thank you,

Elsevier Lippincott

Hate to sound bitter but I am. That's what AT&T gets for contracting out and giving to management their tech work. That is the main reason I left, because of the lack of respect AT&T had for their employee's. A lot of very knowledgeable people left, either by choice because of the BS or forced out due to the farming out of work. If you are an occupational employee, I feel for you. If you are management or contracted, it's what AT&T wanted and asked for.

Another burned out ex-AT&T tech.

Retired phone dude
Elsevier Lippincott,
Here’s my take on your results…. That didn’t tell you anything. If you did an intrusive test (opened it) and your results seem to indicate an open circuit, with a loop-back that you put in it.

If you’re pretty sure the trouble is at the Z-end, start at the last test-point (I think you mentioned TP-6 as the last) and look towards the Z-end NCTE (smart jack.) Loop it up and run to it. If okay… Move to TP-5 and run to the NCTE. Keep backing up the circuit towards the A-END to TP-1…

JustBill,
Take a couple deep breaths… In through the nose… (hold it) … out through the mouth. (repeat.)

NOW go have a beer. Or if it’s hot enough yet in your part of the world… Have a red beer. (bluck) but I know ya’ll like ‘em!

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
I usually don't let things get to me. Just that I saw a lot of lives ruined by AT&T's greed. A lot of friends and good people devastated by bad management. We had a top notch T-1 group that took care of T-1 problems that others couldn't figure out or network troubles. As you can see now it seems AT&T could care less if an employee gets proper training or not. I apologize for my rant. I know it's the corporate trend now days, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Retired phone dude
I agree with justbill . I too have seen many excellent tech's forced out by AT&T'S attitude and management style . I was layed off in 1974 from PT&T due to an affirmitive action agenda . Do you think I am still bitter after 32 years . NAH !

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by OBTW:
I agree with justbill . I too have seen many excellent tech's forced out by AT&T'S attitude and management style . I was layed off in 1974 from PT&T due to an affirmitive action agenda . Do you think I am still bitter after 32 years . NAH !
Dang Darrell! I was just starting kindergarten then. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,325
Posts638,978
Members49,779
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,316 Shoretel
190,594 CTX100 install
189,074 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
whoami 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024