web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
I have constant problems with my modem failing, causing my server to go offline. I'm wanting to somehow set off a 12v relay when the connection is lost. The LAN doesn't go down, just the modem send/receive.

So, if there is a device that could:
ping google.com
if google.com not found
then activate relay

Activating the 12v relay would cause a building buzzer to go off to notify staff that the system is offline.

Anyone know of such a solution?

Kristopher
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It is an external dial-up modem? If so, the CD (carrier detect) lead will be held high (+5 volts I believe) as long as the connection is live. You could use that to drive a VERY low current relay using pin 5 (on a 9-pin) or pin 7 (on a 25 pin) connector as the ground for the other side of the relay's coil. Once you drive that relay, you can do anything you want with the contacts.

As for pinging, I don't know what you could do except to possibly use it to start up another machine with the appropriate script in the startup menu. I am just grasping at straws here.

If it is an internal modem, I don't have any suggestions.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
It's a cable modem actually, I wish it were a dial-up, as I have one with built-in relay.

I found a program that would run on a seperate machine and blare from the speakers when a ping isn't detected. That might be the only way to go.

Thanks for the input though, Ed smile

Kristopher
Well, I feel like an old-school retard now! I should have known better than to think it was a dial-up modem. Oh well, maybe someone else might be able to use that idea (or laugh at it) in the future.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Also reaching at straws....
but thinking that by software many programs that don't see internet connectivity automatically goto a secondary dial up land line modem for connectivity. Can't it be set it up to goto the dialout modem the same way and change the dial string to call out to a cell or a manned position?

Just thinking it through.

topher -

Do some searches for simple homebrew circuits that will allow you to trigger logic or relays from a PC serial or parallel port. There are also commercial devices designed for this too, either USB/ Serial/Parallel, or internal boards.... Then just write a quick program to ping, parse the output and then trigger the relay code if necessary.

BTW, I''ll just wet your appetite - the Parallel port is easy, and you have 8 data lines, that only need a single Output to the port address to trigger and hold a value.... In VB Out(&378, &1) will hold data pin 1 high (with the default port address 378h).

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,326
Posts638,990
Members49,781
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,445 Shoretel
190,718 CTX100 install
189,206 1a2 system
Newest Members
wierderal, dante2, Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg
49,781 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 11
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
dexman 3
whoami 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (phonman123), 92 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024