Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Silversam:
Tony -

1. Thanks a lot!

2. I'm running a peer-to-peer network, so there is no server. At the moment, 3 PCs, a laptop (that can connect wirelessly or wired) and a networked Printer. Everything has its own IP address
(192.168.1.xxx). A wired/wireless DSL router & hub tie everything together.

3. dBase was the industry standard for many years for database management. Most database programs could read their file format (.dbf). dbase had a version for the MAC way back when, but I never heard good things about it.

4. Visio is a drawing, network diagramming program. I use it to create screen shots for class room work - Graphical representation of communication concepts. I find it works better to show pictures to help describe ideas.

5. I plan on using the mac mostly for home use. I thought about a laptop......for no good reason. ( Because they look so slick?)

6. So what will it cost me to get started in Macland?

Hardware costs:

7. Cost for a desktop or laptop......?

Software costs:

8. I'm going to need MS office or some other software that reads/writes word & excel.
Cost......?

9. Is there a viable Star/Open Office for the MAC?

10. Cost for Boot camp or Parallels.......?

11. Thunderbird & firefox should be free. I'm not sure about the Palm Treo software.

12. What other software will I need to buy?

13. What other software SHOULD I buy?

14. What should I expect a whole package to cost?

Sam
1. You're welcome!

2. P2P will make it easier to join.

3. I read a wiki article about the dBase for the Mac... apples and oranges now (no pun intended). That old OS was nothing like the OS X that Mac uses now... heck, even OS9 was so vastly different that there are very few crossover programs.

4. I read up about Visio and some other diagramming software. It seems that ConceptDraw 7 is a quality cross platform program. Here is the wiki article about it ---> Concet Draw 7

5. If you would ever want to use the Mac outside of the house... you will be glad you bought the laptop. If you know that you'll never ever leave the house with it, then a desktop would be in order. (laptop would be my only choice in todays WiFi enabled world.. IMHO) and yes they do look slick, don't they?! smile

There is a really powerful small Mac, called the "Mac Mini" (my buddy has had one for about 6 months and loves it!). It's Mac's "barebones" system : check it out at Mac's page ---> Mac Mini page ... they start at $599

6. $ depends on two parameters :
a. - laptop or desktop
b. - USED or NEW.

7. Desktop new : $599(Mac Mini) / $1199(iMac) - $2799(Mac Pro) and up (customized). Desktop used : $399(Mac Mini) / $799 (iMac) - $2199(Mac Pro)

Laptop new : $1099 - $2499. Laptop used : $799 - $1999

8. For reading/writing Word & Excel docs... I use my Google Docs any more... since it's free and you can export the files in many formats or send an on-line viewable page with the Doc on it to an e-mail list, etc... the features are pretty much endless and you don't have to store anything locally anymore on your computer. If you insist on having a hard copy of MS Office on you computer... I have one with extra licences on it.

9. Yes, OpenOffice has supported Mac for years.

10. Bootcamp is $129 and Parallels is $79.99

11. Thunderbird/Firefox/Camino/etc. are all part of the Mozilla project and they (among other great programs) are all free. palm does make desktop software for the Mac, but I don't know the cost (if any) associated with it.

12. Other software depends on your needs/wants... there is a lot of great free software out there in the opensource world, that does about anything that proprietary software does.

13. see #12 smile

14. $800 - $1200 for a basic, but powerful setup.
$1200 - $1900 for a very strong set-up... and if you got the $ to blow and pimp it out $2200 - $4000.

(sorry for the numbered list... my mind works better that way smile )

Hope that helps!

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Tony -

Thanks! You've been a great help.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sam

I use Parallels and its great-you can run Windows and Mac OS at the same time and drag & drop between them.

I think Boot Camp is included in OS X 10.5 so it would be free on a new machine.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski
Originally posted by MacOSX:
... heck, even OS9 was so vastly different that there are very few crossover programs.
Oops. This was proprietary information that was not to be conveyed to idiot window users. After all this is an Apple talking point; solely for the purpose of debunking users from upgrading their XP to Vista, and righteously moving to the "superior" Mac. Come on now, you mean even Mac's have this issue on a major OS release, I could have swore this was only symptomatic to the inferior "OS" with the microsoft tag.

~brother

BTW.

I have both, and cant stand the MAC. There's nothing more proprietary than a mac in my opinion, and only recently have they realized the freedom in hardware.

Parallels. May come with OS 10.5, but the MS license does not. So if you want a legitimate XP/Vista OS, then be prepared to pay for the additional fees.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by rustynails:
Originally posted by MacOSX:
[b] ... heck, even OS9 was so vastly different that there are very few crossover programs.
Oops. This was proprietary information that was not to be conveyed to idiot window users. After all this is an Apple talking point; solely for the purpose of debunking users from upgrading their XP to Vista, and righteously moving to the "superior" Mac. Come on now, you mean even Mac's have this issue on a major OS release, I could have swore this was only symptomatic to the inferior "OS" with the microsoft tag.

~brother [/b]
What is proprietary about 0S 9 not having many crossover programs? OS X was almost a complete rebuild from the ground up... it's not a secret.

What is an "Apple talking point"?

What issue do you refer to... backwards compatibility?

----

Originally posted by rustynails:
BTW.

I have both, and cant stand the MAC. There's nothing more proprietary than a mac in my opinion, and only recently have they realized the freedom in hardware.

Parallels. May come with OS 10.5, but the MS license does not. So if you want a legitimate XP/Vista OS, then be prepared to pay for the additional fees.
Can you explain the statement "There's nothing more proprietary than a mac in my opinion, and only recently have they realized the freedom in hardware." further?

I didn't even know that Parallels came with OS 10.5... but regardless of that; why would Microsoft allow licenses for XP/Vista in a Mac bundle?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
sph Offline
I think rustynails means that Apple made a big deal about the differences between XP and Vista as a way of persuading people to switch, whereas they had even bigger problems with porting software between OS 9 and OS X.
But that's just Apple marketing talk. You have to absolutely disregard all that, if you're going to use a machine to help you put food on the table.
All of it. All your opinions, the hype, open this, closed that etc etc.
This is what it comes to as far as I'm concerned:

1. Can it do what I want it to?
2. Am I prepared to learn this tool as well as any other important tool for my job?
3. Assuming I spend the time and money to equip the machine AND learn it, how prone is it to break?
4. If it breaks, what should I expect from the vendors, both hardware and software?
5. How much will the Total Cost Of Ownership be after you factor in all of the above?

You get the idea. All the arguments about Mac vs Windows are trifling.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by sph:
I think rustynails means that Apple made a big deal about the differences between XP and Vista as a way of persuading people to switch, whereas they had even bigger problems with porting software between OS 9 and OS X.
But that's just Apple marketing talk. You have to absolutely disregard all that, if you're going to use a machine to help you put food on the table.
All of it. All your opinions, the hype, open this, closed that etc etc.
This is what it comes to as far as I'm concerned:

1. Can it do what I want it to?
2. Am I prepared to learn this tool as well as any other important tool for my job?
3. Assuming I spend the time and money to equip the machine AND learn it, how prone is it to break?
4. If it breaks, what should I expect from the vendors, both hardware and software?
5. How much will the Total Cost Of Ownership be after you factor in all of the above?

You get the idea. All the arguments about Mac vs Windows are trifling.
You are exactly correct about marketing hype, I didn't catch that in rustynails post.

Your #1 question is all that needs to be answered
"can it do what I want it to?"

In todays world of competition and availability of all the OS's (i.e - linux distros, Mac OS X, Vista) with a combination of opensource/freeware/conversion programs/etc., there is argument that all and any of the systems can do what you need.

I have found in my experience that Apple's service/support is top notch and Windows support is not user friendly at all. As far as Linux distros, your support is your personal knowledge of the system and message-boards.

I bought the Apple care with the my eMac and used it exactly once... they (Apple support) treated me with respect and helped me solve my problem efficiently. I have had the same eMac G4 since 2002 and only performed 1 memory upgrade on it. Before that I owned a Macintosh Performa-6220 PowerPC, which I've had since summer of 1994 (and still runs). That is why I say the hardware is better quality and the OS is more solid.

In the 10 years I've worked for my employer I have not seen anything close to that performance from a Windows box. The company has gone through 4 Windows desktops (2 of which still work) and 7 laptops (4 of which still work) and have not had anything but constant problems, hardware and software both.

I myself am not very well versed in any Linux distros and have only used Ubuntu for my first self-built computer... and messed around with Knoppix-STD for a minute.

To answer it financially - in 14 years of using Mac/Apple systems, I have spent a total of $2,600 in initial purchases and about $300 on hardware (mostly memory) upgrades. I have had about 4 total hours of down-time.

As far as peripherals (external HDD, PVR, Tuner cards, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc.) about $500. Still have all original keyboards and mice in operating condition too.

The "bottom line" reasons I suggest Mac products... great service and reliable hardware.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,574 Shoretel
189,446 CTX100 install
187,604 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 139 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024