Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#229292 10/13/05 04:59 AM
Terry Offline OP
OP Offline
With a VMS voicemail system I can't find a quick way to delete a message after I've reviewed it.

As I follow the prompts I end up going back through the message again - any thoughts?

Thanks

Terry

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#229293 10/13/05 06:22 AM
i'm guessing that you don't have the soft keys on your vm. it's ok. if you did you would just hit the delete button to kill it pretty quick.

instead do this. while listening to a message you know you don't want. press 222 (and maybe another 2. depends if the system misses 1 of them)to kill off the message. don't wait till the message is over.

#229294 10/13/05 08:08 AM
Terry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks I'll try that - you mentioned soft keys - what are they and how do we install them?

#229295 10/13/05 08:58 AM
Yeah the old Elite mail is pretty crappy when it comes to message deleteing via the menu mode prompts.

Softkeys.. How old is your mail?? These have been a standard feature for about the past 4 to 5 years on Elite FMS voicemails.
Best way to check if the integration is there is to access the VMS via Cosession and at the banner screen press F5. This will list several things that the mail has . One of these should say something like "int=SKT". If you see this let us know and we may be able to help further. If you don't see this you will have to contact your NEC dealer for a softkey upgrade..

Regards,

Paul W
Now back to a 0 day week. Love these 7 day weekends.
#229296 10/14/05 03:37 AM
Terry Offline OP
OP Offline
When you say a "softkey upgrade" are you talking about a software and/or microcode upgrade we load into the present hardware or an exchange of VMS hardware?

#229297 10/14/05 10:53 AM
Terry Offline OP
OP Offline
PS I've been told that the VMS (4) voicemail can be upgraded to the current version but it requires a new chip and a new hard drive (about $850.00) does anyone know if that sounds right?

Thanks!

#229298 10/14/05 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Terry:
PS I've been told that the VMS (4) voicemail can be upgraded to the current version but it requires a new chip and a new hard drive (about $850.00) does anyone know if that sounds right?

Thanks!
I don't know what you mean by upgrading to current version, as a VMS will always stay as a VMS. You can upgrade it to 8 port, with a daughterboard upgrade, but that should be more than the $850 that you are quoted.

With regard to software upgrades, all of them come on floppy disks that can be loaded and applied by the VMS operating system. The costs and additional features that are available varies.

If your VMS is working, and has the features that you current want, then why spend the extra money and upgrade?

With regard to softkeys, they are only available on the DTU/DTP and more recent display phones, which have the four "flex" keys beneath the display. What type/version of handsets are you using?

Hope that helps you out a bit.

#229299 10/20/05 12:23 PM
Terry Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I just ran into myself coming the other direction on this voicemail issue.

The way you retrieve and worse yet delete messages is cumbersome. Someone sugested that there is an upgrade referred to as "soft keys" and I was told it involves replacement of a chip and the Hard drive at a cost in the $850.00 range. Now I'm not so sure. This is not to be confused with the 2/4/8 port voicemail (mine is a 4-port unit).

Is anyone familiar with what the softkeys are and what I do to improve the ability to listen to and then delete messages.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

#229300 10/26/05 02:19 AM
If you are using DTU series e phones or the even newer DTH phones there will be 4 triangular keys just below the display. These are the softkeys. When sitting at and idle state, just above the keys it read sys, sta, up, down in that order on the display. If your voicemail has the softkey feature installed, when you access the voicemail pilot these softkey indicators will change and become play new message, rewind, delete message so forth and so on. It makes the voicemail alot easier to use. This is a Q version of voicemail software that allows you to have them. Most elitemails are upgradeable far enough to get the softkey feature. Its not a free upgrade genrealy, unless there was some kind of bug in the software version you are running currently and NEC released a newer version to correct those bugs.

#229301 10/26/05 12:55 PM
and it doesn't require any new hardware in order to make it work (other than a softkey upgrade for your phones if your phones don't have the 3 little buttons below the display)

do you (or someone else) have manager status? if so go into manager functions and get the system info. it will tell you what "q" version you have.

your local "dealer", who is trying to sell you a vms, sounds like he is doing just that. you only need software upgrades in order to get soft keys.

only reason you'd need a vms (or vmp now-a-days) is if you needed over 40 mailboxes or a boat load of storage space.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,325
Posts638,979
Members49,780
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,354 Shoretel
190,621 CTX100 install
189,113 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
whoami 3
dexman 3
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024