Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DT98 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hal,
You bring up a good point I forgot to mention; the age of the equipment.
The oldest system was installed in 2000 and all equipment is new when installed. Over the past five years we average around 100 new locations per year. We did a mass swap out of older non-Avaya systems in '06, about 225 systems.
Some of the other posts hit the nail on the head too...get better installs. For whatever reason, the installs are handled by bean counters with no telecom experience whatsoever. I've told them time and again that the number of trouble tickets is directly proportional to the quality of the installation.
Installs got so bad that I started requiring pictures of all the installs. That was a small win for me...
Nothing aggravates me more than to have several maintenance requests before an install is 4 months old.

I think (hopefully) that the bean counters are starting to realize that a few more beans now will save beans later. Remember the FRAM commercials...

Now as for the LECs, I've seen a decline since working for Ma Bell...that's a soap box for another day.

Year to date I've handled 1330 trouble tickets so that is less than two per location. Maybe not so bad after all...maybe I should ask on average how many tickets should one location have per year?

I'll pass some of this info on to the bean counter managers and see what happens...

Thanks, DT98

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You need to track your tickets and break them down by equipment and type of call along with the remedy and duration. For equipment failures, track possible cause of failure… coffee spill, poor installation, power… and costs. A ticket for a bad speaker pales in comparison to a blown power supply in a switch. If you are having problems with one speaker manufacturer, switch to another.

Also if you are growing by 100 offices a year, you need to have a detailed specification for the installation and testing.

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
DT98 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks JimmyV,
I've got all that but I can't get the higher ups to implement due to dollars. They do not seem to understand that a higher quality install means less maintenance calls on the back end...
Installations are detailed and specified but I don't think the installers they get want to read.

A ticket for a bad speaker...

As much as I like Valcom no way would I use or recommend powered speakers. Each has an amp and requires power and those are frequent failure points.

You should have zero maintenance on speakers when it's done correctly! The tried and true method is a constant voltage 70.7 volt system which is completely passive AND it's less money. Unless somebody cuts a wire or shoots a bullet through a speaker they will work forever with no attention.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,424 Shoretel
189,191 CTX100 install
187,439 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (RATHER BE FISHING, Memphisribs), 132 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024