Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#20543 10/30/08 03:58 AM
I agree this is a good topic.

I don't have a land line, just a cell phone. I'm already paying $50 for the cell, why pay another $50 for a local line? Granted the quality of the cell phone SUCKS (and I can't say that loud enough to AT&T .. who could care less) but I just don't get enough calls to justify the land line.

If the local telco is losing money on POTS lines I have a solution. Supply and demand, right? Uh, lower the price... Better to get $2o than no dollars. I suspect it's not worth it to them though. They (AT&T) are selling more crappy cell phone service than they can support anyway, why bother with landlines?

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#20544 10/30/08 04:25 AM
I tried cancelling my landline for awhile, but the cell service in my area is so bad that it just wasn't worth it. Some days I would have to go out into the street to get reception. I ended up bundling up telephone with my cable service, so I have a digital line coming in.

This causes its own issues with outages, but we save about $50 a month.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

#20545 10/30/08 04:37 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Bolts, the reason you don't 'get enough calls to justify a landline' is that your cell number is probably not in any phone directory. Oh, that, and the fact that YOU DON'T HAVE A LANDLINE! (Do you have any idea how hard I fought with my hands while they were typing that last sentence all by themselves? smile ) John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#20546 10/30/08 04:41 AM
I, too, have digital cable, but use Embarq. The reason I mention this is that my computer, and as a result my MagicJack, keep on working, no matter what kind of cable TV problems I am having! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#20547 10/30/08 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
the reason you don't 'get enough calls to justify a landline' is that your cell number is probably not in any phone directory.
Or, no one is interesting in calling me... that, and my kids prefer text messaging.

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
#20548 10/30/08 09:28 AM
Well, dang, get a landline and I promise I'll call you at least once a week. smile John C.

#20549 10/30/08 12:22 PM
I have two cellphones, a voip phone, and a landline all with AT&T. It all gets confusing! Support your local phone company, I do!

#20550 10/30/08 01:00 PM
I seriously doubt land lines will go away anytime soon for many reasons. Many have been mentioned above ^.

But if my memory serves me correctly wasn't it the big TELCO's that wanted a wireless (cellular) service in the first place?

Is it not a fact that 90% of the troubles TELCO's face is with copper?

Years ago I remember hearing that all subscribers would have a little antenna on our roof top that would do away with copper and the problems that occur with copper.
I think the problem in those days was bandwidth. I think it's safe to say they have overcome that problem since everybody and their brother now have a cell phone.

I think they got their wish. But why are we still paying by the minute? And why can we not go to X-mart and buy a cell phone for what it's worth ( around $10.00) without signing a two year contract?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,985 Shoretel
190,166 CTX100 install
188,347 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024