Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194870 09/19/08 07:46 AM
OP Offline
Hi guys,
I'm an independent IT consultant and was hired to fix the phone system.
I'm not really familiar with phone system so please bear with me if I sound so n00b.

The client is havinf problem with the dealer, since the dealer has been double even triple charging the company for tasks that has not been done but they keep sending invoices.

So the company's owner (let's just from now on call him John), went to the Manage User under XP, then changed ALL of the user names in that window. It has "Administrator, ASPNET,CIXAlarmMonitorUser,DCOMaccount,eManagerUser,IUSR_MICROMASH,IWAM_MICROMASH,MyPhoneManagerUser,myTaskeUser,Remote Admin,Server$ and Valued Customer" under user names.

John changed them all and restarted the PC.
Guess what? The Strata eManager, which points to port 80 on that PC, does not function / open anymore.

I looked up the even viewer, and it says "bad password/username". So basically the program would not run since the password for the user name got changed.

John does not want to contact the vendor/dealer since they are having a fight. John wants to know which one is true :changing password was the reason the strata emanage doesnt work anymore, or the vendor got in using remote deskop(which they have always been doing to trouble shoot things) and change things around to make sure John pays the invoices.

Please help... I contacted Toshiba and they said they don't provide end-user tech support.

thank you

Fred

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
oh btw the sytem model is CHSUB112a2
Strata CIX 40 or 100

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Fred Warner:
John wants to know which one is true :changing password was the reason the strata emanage doesnt work anymore, or the vendor got in using remote deskop(which they have always been doing to trouble shoot things) and change things around to make sure John pays the invoices.
I would imagine that changing the user accounts especially those related to eManager would cause login problems. Try re-installing eManager and see if that helps.

OP Offline
I have to ask him if he has the installation disc.
I think the vendor has all the Raw installation file and discs.
Can I download Emanager from somewhere?
Thanks for the reply smile

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
I don't know where you can download the software if you're not a dealer. By the way, if John's unhappy with his current vendor, why doesn't he just find another who can help him with this and future service calls?

Originally posted by phonemeister:
I don't know where you can download the software if you're not a dealer. By the way, if John's unhappy with his current vendor, why doesn't he just find another who can help him with this and future service calls?
No kidding! What he should be doing is contacting Toshiba directly and letting them know what is going on. Toshiba doesn't take kindly to dealers who are not on the up and up if that is really the case here.

Pat Austin
Teleco Inc.
Product Manager/Sales Engineer
Adtran ATSP
TCTE/CTP Certified

Teleco Homepage
Even if you had the password or access to the system, you would have a hard time trying to make programming changes to 'fix' the system since you're unfamiliar with phone systems. I doubt that the installer logged in remotely and made changes to the system without consent. It's illegal and would probably result in a termination of their relationship with Toshiba. By changing the passwords himself, your client probably voided any outstanding warranty with Toshiba and the vendor.

Someone on this forum may be able to help you with Emanager but you'd still need the passwordS. I recommend contacting a local dealer.

Shawn
Absolute Communications, Inc.
Fred, Let "Lets Call Him John" know that yes it was more than likely his actions that have caused this mess. Toshiba is, and always has been a customer friendly company that cares greatly about its clients and LCHJ needs to get together with Toshiba and find a resolve and/or new vendor to service his system. If LCHJ has his ducks in a row and is standing on the side of the fence you say he is then his previous vendor will be in for some tough action from Toshiba, and if he's not being completely on the up & up then the chips will fall where they should.

In any case the forum is to assist mostly end users and the need for answers to the user features.

You know that sometimes if a service is assigned to run under a specific user account, that if you change the password that service will not start?

It looks like you were on a Micromas-H, which is commonly used as the voicemail system, ACD, and reporting system. I'm not sure which of these you are running.

I'm just trying to imagine the heated conversations that the Toshiba vendor and "John" had that caused him to start changing things with a system he was not familiar.

Not specifically in the case of a MAS system, but I have gone out to an emergency where the end user changed a password and stuff stopped working, such as Net server, or Tracer recording system in recent memory. EManager does require a user account for IIS to work, which is why it is broken. I have not been able to fix eManager without re-installing it, after changing the password.

BTW, you may have locked the vendor out of the MicroMAS system, but they may still be able to get into the phone system if they realy wanted, depending on what type of remote access is set up.

I am also curious to know how to prevent a "remote" attack as I have a customer who has three CTX670 on site and the disgruntled technician might want to take revenge after we were appointed over him.

So far, I have reassigned the remote modem on different ISDN DID numbers and changed the button programming passwords but I want the system to be secure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,322
Posts638,968
Members49,779
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,267 Shoretel
190,544 CTX100 install
188,982 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (dexman), 162 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024