Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#155155 02/20/06 04:39 AM
jjjtech Offline OP
OP Offline
Strange one here... need some brain power.

Client's first line also carries DSL for office... filter is in place before 1232. This line quit passing caller id so I was called in. Determined the caller id port was bad and moved line to another CO postion. Worked fine for two days... now same problem... no caller id from the 1232 even when another line is patched into that CO position (appears this caller id port is now dead). CallerID shows up on test set paralleled with 1232... any thoughts? Qwest can't think of any reason why this would only be happening on the line carrying DSL...

Thanks
JJJ

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Those KX-TD's are pretty picky about caller ID. On my system at home, I used LED bridging clips to give an in-use indication for the lines. I had always had them in place before caller ID was added with no problems. Once I ordered Caller ID, I couldn't get it to work for the life of me. I too had a parallel-connected caller ID box that worked fine.

Panasonic was actually at the point where they were going to send a technician out from New Jersey to look at it. Then, on a whim, I decided to remove the LED bridging clips and voila! Caller ID started working.

Apparently, these things were messing with polarity since they technically are diodes. My guess would be to try to connect the line in question temporarily without the DSL filter and see if you can get anything to show up.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
jjjtech Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Ed. In going through the original diagnosis, I tried bypassing the DSL filter and CID still did not work. Also, patching a non-DSL line into the CO port did not bring caller id back. It is as though something on that line is "killing" the CID ports. The only solution I have at the moment is to order the DSL in on a non-POTS pair and just never let it enter the 1232... sure wish I knew why this was happening though...

JJJ

Oh, I forgot to mention that I physically pulled the caller ID module out of the KSU and reinstalled it once I decided to remove the LED bridging clips. I had been working on this issue for three months, so I didn't want to leave any stone unturned.

I can't say for sure since I only speak from my own personal experience, but I almost think that card adapts itself somehow to the bad information it's receiving and tries to translate it (well not the card itself, but the processor). Reseating the card obviously required the system being powered down and back up, so who knows for sure?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
have you tested for high loop current?

jjjtech Offline OP
OP Offline
No... Qwest had already been called out before me and declared everything "OK" but that's a good idea... I'll add it to my list.

Thx
JJJ

I prefer a splitter over a filter.
Suttle and AllenTel make them as well as some other Mfgrs.
https://www.hometech.com/techwire/dsl.html
Have you checked to see if by chance this line is on a alarm 1st?
Is there a dedicated fax? usually an ADSL will be on that line, maybe you can get it moved to the fax if it is dedicated.
Is there CID on all 8 lines of the base unit?
Also as CWC stated, high loop current can cause a wide array of wierd problems.
MrG

Yeah just because quest says all is well does not mean that they are not blowing double the loop current that should be on your cpe .and
high current can cause all kinds of problems including burning up cards!!

jjjtech Offline OP
OP Offline
Hadn't considered a splitter, but that problem will go away once it is moved to the fax line anyway...

Actually already ordered the move for the DSL to their fax line... great minds think alike. :-)

No alarm involved, but good thought... I'm really hoping it's a loop current issue. I'll be back there on Friday so we'll see.

Thanks for everyone's help!
JJJ

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,326
Posts638,992
Members49,781
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,453 Shoretel
190,735 CTX100 install
189,210 1a2 system
Newest Members
wierderal, Rupert, hamishegg, Rphoneguy, Kahm310
49,781 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 11
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
dexman 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (www.telcom1.net, juno), 91 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024