Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Any chance this system came from the 'bestest', probably larger, property and the put the Latest, Greatest system in the 'bestest' property? I've had to go in and 'clean up' after some low $ 'whiz kid' moved the system, following installation of new system by a high $ company.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
You know, there's a good chance something like that happened...

All I know is they bought the system used / refurbished. It was supposed to have come fully programmed. It's mostly programmed. (Something akin to 'mostly harmless', I think).

I will say after having lurked here a bit, and reading through posts that pertain to the 200 series (digital, I mean), I'm a little less than impressed with whomever programmed it. I know I'm new to Mitel (and any PBX other than asterisk, for that matter!), but after learning about tenanting, COS, COR (well, I'm still learning, of course), and finding out this thing has been programmed to lump ALL extensions into the same of each... Yeah. Less than impressed.

However, I'm learning, and that's good!

ps.
I'm not against the hardware / software at all. Just the person who 'programmed' it. The platform is nice, and fun to work with. I'm impressed with how much they can pack into a system that small. I'll stop there before I go off on another tangent. :-D

one tenant is usually good.
But you should have multiple COS and if you're going to restrict phones, multiple COR.
You will need professional help with ARS (forms 20-28) but it should break out types of calls by the digits dialed, with more than one route out.

It is a great platform. The ARS on an SX200 will sing and dance if you want it to...

As an example, a motel with SS's for admin will have active COSs for Rooms, VM, Console, SS admin, S/L Admin, Pool and Elevator, Lobby/Public, Trunks. And 4 or more active CORs.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
Telephoneguy, Lightninghorse,
Right, it looks like those forms are somewhat analogous to the routing and restrictions in asterisk, just broken out differently. (Differently enough that I don't yet understand them).

Telephoneguy,
So far I like it. This replaces an SX20, which I was very impressed with - I mentioned in a PM about packing so much into so little, well, the 20 did just that. Thank heavens I never had to try to program it - I just read the manual we had. That was enough for me. smile

I hear you, Lightninghorse - When I saw that all the courtesy phones could make LD calls just like everywhere else, I was a little stupefied.

I've started pestering the powers that be about taking a class, I just have to keep on them...

Courtesy phones are usually either restricted to internal, which you can do from the console if you have either option 107 or 108 enabled, or else are ringdowns (requires a class-of-service option) which automatically call the operator when they go off-hook.

Point out to TPTB that you only happened to stumble onto the courtesy-phone issue, and that they could have been on the hook for thousands in long distance. You may also want to stress the potential for loss from illicit calls if the ARS is not set up correctly... 976 calls, for example, or 900 calls... or 011 632 5555-0000 (Manila, example number).

I knew a guy who used to program ARS to redirect calls for his competitors to his cell phone. Not the most ethical trick, but it shows what the system can do...

OP Offline
Telephoneguy,

Thank you for the info on the courtesy phones. I'll double-check those options for the console, then make sure they're restricted next time I'm on location. Good info!

I already did that - Thankfully the nastier issue we have is keeping us from being bitten by that at the moment (although, on the old system there was a programming error at one point that allowed rooms to call LD without billing - so they 'got it' right away when I pointed this out to them).

I was actually thinking about rerouting 411 to google 411 to help cut down on phone costs... I know the system can do it, I'm just back-burnering it until I get the bad stuff out of the way.

I'm going to go off on a tangent here for a moment, and then probably another tangent...

I saw a post about phone techs being a 'GOB Network' a while ago, it was an older post, but I wanted to say this: The replies from the techs were very accurate. Although I've only recently been put in charge of phone equipment, I have seen the way phone techs and PBXes are treated, and it isn't right. Places where I've had new rooms installed just for the servers will have their PBX in the basement right next to their 66 blocks... On wooden pallets if the owner was thinking ahead, but usually that isn't the case. Basements up here get wet. A LOT. Basements up here are almost always musty, dirty, hot, etc. It's still a wonder to me how people can just plop anything worth over a grand on a pallet and expect it to work for 1 year, let alone 20.

When I came here to ask for help, you were all very nice, and helpful. Especially for people who are hanging out in a forum in their spare time, telling people how to do the job they normally charge for. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I noticed that there is a computer section of the site, so I have been trying to hang out there and help out when I can, and will continue to do so, because I do appreciate everything you guys have helped me with so far. Thank you again!

At least TPTB here listened to me on the new one. We have a nice table where the PBXs are currently situated, until I can find a rack that I like (decent fans, good space, etc). The area the PBX is in is actually dry, and they listened to me about putting it on a beefy UPS (rack mountable! YAY!). I just wish more owners were as cool as these are.

Now to convince them to send me to school. :-D

I think I mentioned going off onto a second tangent... Nah, enough typing for now. Thanks guys!

Tod,

Thanks for the kind works and welcome to the forum.

While I don't think I've read the GOB thread, I would likely disagree. As you pointed out, the regular posters here are highly qualified professionals who give their advice freely. One common concern amongst us is that we do not want to see food taken off a fellow members table(s).

Tha above is where telling one what to do, but not how to do it comes into effect. You will also find that how a question is asked goes directly to how it is answered.

Due to recent events, you may find that some will receive a "perhaps you would benefit from calling in a local technician" answer. Those helping in the forum to support others likely won't get that type of response.

Once again welcome and thanks.

John

P.S. I have an uncle living in Duluth smile

Corrected error in meaning in 2nd paragraph. John C

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,434 Shoretel
189,204 CTX100 install
187,447 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ashley), 92 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024