I thought flash memory was the best thing since sliced bread, as it has no moving parts like a HDD. I then found that it can also fail prematurely.

About 8 years of what I consider light use in (now 10 years old) my KX-TVA50 VMS started occasionally dropping voice prompts. Without warning crashing and rebooting when you dial into one of the Port's extensions, changes to software settings don't always update etc. Restoring the software has not fixed the problems, nor did the last software revision. I spoke with someone and was told, yes, the flash memory in these do fail.

I then read up on how flash memory works which is actually an Eprom on a much larger scale.

That there is only so many times each bit can change from one state to the other. After many many "flips" slight enough that it's state can no longer be read as either on or off.

A Large-Scale Study of Flash Memory Failures in the Field

Originally Posted by hbiss
I have Partner messaging systems out there over 20 years old with hard drives running 24/7 and still going strong. Then I had many brand new that died after three months. Go figure.

-Hal

Last edited by DonaldR; 07/29/20 11:41 AM.

"Most people don't have a sense of humor. They think they do, but they don't." --Jonathan Winters