Mepmoop -

The lamps run on 10VAC, so anything that puts out 10VAC at some minimal amperage would work. If you could come up with a plug in 240V ->10V transformer that should do it.(If such a thing exists). This side of the pond we would use a 120->10V for doorbells and the like.

Please understand this is a complete Rube Goldberg cludge (does that translate?). Ordinarily when you picked up the phone and depressed a line key that O/W short would operate a relay on a circuit board in a Key Service Unit that would switch 10VAC from a power supply to light the lamp on the W/G pair, etc. etc.

Over the years there have been a number of folks from the UK who have enquired about getting 1A2 sets to work. If you check some of the earlier posts in this forum I imagine that you could gather some pretty good info.

Oddly, everyone from the UK who enquires here ALWAYS MENTIONS CAGNEY & LACEY!

What's up with that?

Oh and BTW, while our phones ring at the US cadence of Ring.....(6 sec pause)...Ring etc., a lot of the PBXs I installed over the years used to offer us the option of UK ringing (ring, ring.....ring, ring). A number of firms liked it (thinking [as most Americans do] that all things British are classy). I would often set it up that Calls ringing in from an outside caller rang American and Internal calls rang UK style. It let people know how to answer. (Either "XYZ company", or "This is Sam")

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"