So that you don't confuse the issue, a wireless security system is not part of the question. It probably has an RJ-31x jack somewhere and that would connect to a telephone line.

While Ooma is an alternative to dial tone, I'd not recommend it for a couple of reasons. It doesn't play well with modems, it is expensive.

Broadband internet can be delivered in several ways, but the most common is via some form of DSL or Cable. In DSL, you take the incoming line and plug it into a DSL modem. The DSL "splitter" you refer to is probably just a box that has 2 two-wire connections, one for the phone and one for the modem, the phone port having a filter built in.

If the purpose is to save money, you would need to convert your DSL to "naked" or dry pair DSL. Now you don't get dial tone on the phone port, just DSL on the DSL port that you plug your modem into. The modem then goes into a router and you can plug an Analog Terminal Adapter (preferred way for me) into one of the ports on the router or add a switch if you need more than the conventional 4 ports the router typically has.

Now, back to this "dial tone." I have a Ooma box. I bought it on the (b)leading edge, which means I paid about $250 for the unit. The difference is that I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago and that's all I pay. I don't have 2 lines, no fancy features, nothing. I think I have voice mail, but I forward the incoming calls to my cell phone so I just use it as an outgoing long distance line. It give me absolutely FREE voice grade phone line and every month it works, it reduces my initial cost. I guess I'm down to about $4 a month. However, Ooma got smart and took away all the freebies. Now they sell the box and try to charge something extra for the features, as much as $120 or so for the "premier" service. Now, paying $200 for the priviledge of paying $10 a month isn't such a great deal when I can go to Phone Power and grab their box for $14.95 on a 2 year agreement or pay $200 in advance for a 2-year contract and get those same features as an Ooma Premier system, which includes voice mail, 2 lines, and porting of numbers.

That's the math of the numbers, but the only question is WILL IT WORK! A Phone Power installation kit is $80 and you get a 30 day trial. If you keep it, you can convert it to the $200 deal, or even a Vonage box is about $25 and you can get their $9.95 a month bare bones service. The point is, Ooma's not a huge great deal and no matter what, you'll still have to test to see if the alarm system will work with it.

Carl