Originally posted by hbiss:
Another thought occurs. Where does liability, if there is any, begin or end?

The point has been suggested that the alarm installer should be the only one to install and maintain an alarm jack because there is a chance that lawsuits will fly should the alarm system not function. If it is determined that the problem was with the jack, we as phone guys don't want the liability and the alarm installer doesn't want to rely on someone else to keep him out of trouble.

That arguement is bogus because if there is going to be a lawsuit anybody and everybody even remotely involved is going to be named as a party. Obviously the alarm installer doesn't run his own wiring from the jack back to the central monitoring station, so like it or not other people are involved. Many times our premises wiring is used to bring dial tone to where the jack location is. So if we are part of the link anyway, what difference does it make which one of us installs the jack? We are all just as guilty to the lawyers.

Point is if the alarm installer wants to try to mitigate liability for everybody he needs to make the system as reliable as possible and provide redundant means of reporting. I wouldn't worry about the jack.

-Hal
All of that is true. But for me it's not so much that I'm trying to mitigate liability for anyone.
My biggest concern is keeping the security and/or fire alarm system functioning properly so it can do it's job no matter what!

I do everything I possibly can to make sure the systems are as reliable as the equipment allows. But, as with every other system, redundancy is only limited by the customer's budget.

For me it's a matter of preference to install the cable and jack myself. In doing so I do not have to worry if it's correct or not.

The most common problem I've faced with telephone cables ran by someone else is earth ground faults. As I'm sure you know a small scale earth ground has very little affect on most telephone systems.
However, even the slightest earth ground in a fire alarm will cause a major problem in the future once it is introduced into the system because the fault is never going to do anything but intensify over time.
That's the reason fire alarm systems monitor earth grounds in the first place. wink

Of course it's not feasible for me to run my own circuit all the way to the monitoring center, but trust me, If I could I would! If it saved one life it would be worth the effort! laugh