<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chris02081:
OK so you are doing your cabling job and you have run your cable and pulled it through the wall and they are hanging there ready to be terminated....what color do you use on the jacks?

~Chris
</font>

There are so many colors to chose from.. Pick a one.

The company I work for now likes to use Red for data and voice color that matches the face place. I'm not fond of red, except for special circuits, servers, T1, or something like that.

I've seen many installs use blue for data. And others use multiple colors for mutiple jacks..IE First data blue, second data red.

Last company used voice and data that matched the faceplace (usually white or ivory), and then we would mark the function (V for voice, D for Data) with a labler, or I spell put voice, data if they don't look like they can remember what V & D stand for.

Color coding the whole system sometimes makes sense.. Use blue cable, jacks and cords so that the user knows to plug in blue cord to blue jack.. That way you don't get a fax line pluged into you data jack.
There are some jacks that you can keep white, and use a colored insert tab.

Sometimes the customer wallpapers over the jack and faceplate anyway, covering the number in the proccess (so make a map).

So do you want the jacks to stand out, or blend in?

If in doubt, I ask the person thats paying for the install, the person pluging everything in, or the one color coordinating the office.

I always try to match the faceplate to the existing, or to what the electrician is using. White seems to be more common now days.