your service company should be like a business partner. Find a good Interconnect and stick with them. Then when an emergency comes up you might be able to talk to someone who actually gives a hoot. Most business have revenue streams. Lets say company A is $1000.00 a day, most are very dependant on voice communication.
How much do they lose if phones are down 8 hrs??? A good Interconnect w/ inventory can have most systems back up in a short time and have 2 or 3 hr emgcy response time. Thats when the internet grinders start calling the pros, after wasting hundreds or thousands in down time. When I get an emergency call of system down and come quick I have a few questions--- If I don 't know these people, why are they calling me? Did they not pay the last company? If they are DIY they will more than likely protest when they get the bill.
Did they have a bad experince with the last
company that they worked with? That is possible but not always true. Like the Dentist that brings in $300.00 per hr working his profession but wants to take time off to play computer tech or phone man to save money, but actually loosing money any time he's not working his field. Yes, I could find a used copier,take it apart and make it work great and think I saved, but I would make more money Prospecting-selling-serviceing phone/computer equip because thats what im best at.
Also a good tech or consultant can look at a companys phone setup and offer insite to streamline the operation or to better utilize the companys assets in monthly telecom expenses. How many time have I walked in on a place spending 1400 amonth when the same services were available for 750.00, the phone board or rack is a mess because they call a different company every time they run into trouble. A 5 minute job takes 2 hours for tracing wires, unmarked feeders and other non-industry idiocy. Why waste your time explaining how to save 50% on monthly charges when you know that they won't call you again except for trash jobs that they screwed up first, or some trunker did. Sure its work but noe recuring. Sure we take the work and bill COD, but would rather have the Relationship!!