I traced back the #2 port and found it was connected to the Vmail computer. Funny enough, it had a db9 connector. Why I didn't find this sooner, I don't know. I unplugged the connector from the vmail and plugged into my laptop. I didn't have any luck with Hyperterm but VMMI worked like a champ. AH! FInally I was able to get it.

Once I had a 'working' adapter is was easy. I disassembled the 'working' db9 and recorded the wire scheme. It was RED 3/Green2/yellow5. Just like you and Jwooten indicated. So, I made another adapter with those specs and used THE SAME CABLE that I unplugged from the 'working' adapter. It didn't work. Confused?!

Ok. I went back to my orignal theory that pehaps the starting pin number inside the adapter was not the same as the ones I have. That theory turned out to be true. The inside of each adapter shell 10 holes but they had different starting points for the colored wires. The order is indictaed below.

Bl BK GR Br X
X Or Rd Yl Wh

Remeber my unmade adapters have a different inside order.

X Bl Gr Bk X
X YL RD WH X

After I traced back each wire, noted its position inside the adapter and substuted number and color, it worked.

I quickly made up a few adapters so I won't be in this position again.

Thanks guys for all your help. Any additional questions I may have should be easy. They'll all be basic programming questions :-)

Paul

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dtmf:
Ok the top left DB9 in the picture is right on the money. What's the #2 port being used for? have you tried it. Typicaly you would use the #2 port for the modem and the #1 port for the programmer. Also see if either port will let you enter Control T</font>