Wow. And I thought folks were good about helping people on computer-related forums. I didn't expect so many helpful responses to my question. I couldn't help but think most people would pass on by rolling their eyes thinking "what a doofus."

It helps to know that it's very unlikely for a 66 block to "go bad." Agrees with my logical assumptions, although limited experience.

The whole thing started with buzzing on lines, then no dial tone. First thing I did was pull the "distribution line" (I call it) off one jack at a time on the 66 block, each time checking with my cordless phone. I got to one that, after pulling off, gave me clear DT on cordless. Thought my problems were done (knowing I'd have to look at that jack... later). Then found out the jack my DSL was on was dead. Then the rest of the story.

So... now that I know that 66 blocks rarely go bad (I don't have pool chemicals in the mech room and I don't have an alarm system), I will redouble my efforts in checking/remaking the connections on the block.

One of you may have hit the nail on the head. I had an old punchdown tool. I'm inexperienced and hadn't slept much the night before, so I was using the wrong tip. I was using the notched tip you'd use to put wires into a female wall outlet do-hicky (for ethernet), not the one that surrounds the 66 block terminal point. The wires looked squeezed down between the metal points but the wrong tool probably isn't providing reliable results. I'll look to see if there the right tip inside the handle of that thing and start rechecking all connections.

I have verified that the line from the phone company is good all the way into the mechanical room to the point where I'd punch it into the block.

Thanks everybody for your replies and patience with a guy that is not an expert. Maybe part of my bday present (to myself) today will be that I fix the darn phone service in the house.

--Shawn