Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BrianS Offline OP
OP Offline
Got a large medical facility who's doctors are extremly good friends... they trust me implicitly and will buy what I say and I am trying to balance cost and features.

They have a Partner system and outgrew it. Their number 1 need is call queing at the nurses station. We talked about Magix and IP 400 today.

The obvious Magix thing is that it is new equipment but discontinued. But they reuse all sets and are in it for cheap. Meets both needs. Easier to maintain and I got all the parts for repairs in stock.

IP.. Obvious going forward product. I need about double the cost as I need to buy a back up processor to have on hand. We have done little IP as well. No big IP needs like remote stations, etc. Growth and Queing are needed.

That is the picture.

Now the question: What features does the IP have over the Magix (besides remote phones) that a typical medical office would use?

Since these are my friends, I need to also justify the extra cost to myself. I am breaking even here, they are that close. So, what am I missing... I feel I can service either product for 15 plus years... there is so much magix around.. and I feel the magix is slightly easier for my techs to work on cause we are experienced.

What do I need to consider here?

Thanks

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Brian
If you can supply new MAGIX equipment and the customer understands it has been discontinued, go for the MAGIX.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I would go with the IPO, but thats just my take.
Could save the customer some money with SIP in the future.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
My turn:

The Merlin Magix is a very reliable system. It has been around, (in one form or another), for many years and will continue to exist even though it is no longer in production.

The Office IP will provide the ability to save money on the monthly phone bill as well as the ability to link remote sites.

Which one to go with depends on the customer's projected needs. If there is no chance that IP-based features will be needed, I would go with the Magix. Otherwise, go with the IP Office.

I Love FEATURE 00
May I, please?
I would say there are some features that Magix never would have cause it absolute. We are talking about soft phones, hot deskin,good DID conversion table, remote extensions without another on site system, IP Trunking and IP telephones but if your doctors don't want all of it Magix is the best way to go. You still can have Unified Messaging, you still can have external Forwarding and VM Notification in case of Emergency and you still can have different Auto Attendants for different doctor's Group. DID? You can change your numbering plan to match it or you can ask your provider to send you whatever you need to recieve. So I would say Magix but if you choose IPO get POTS lines or PRI do not go with IP product.

I'll second Dexman's opinion, with a slight lean toward Magix.

SIP is interesting technology, but I wouldn't yet want it at any site that absolutely positively needed it working 24 hours a day. A doctor's office might need to urgently call EMT.

I don't want to mislead you: IPO can work without SIP just fine. It's just that I think you should take the SIP-based savings out of the picture, regardless of which platform you choose.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Now I only been doing this for 31 years, but here's my take, and I am a Avaya Dealer. If theres no near future needs for IP stay with the Magix and wait till the VOIP shakeout dust has settled, the Verizon Vonage battle may have far reaching implications as my insider say Verizon may sue many many VOIP services for infringement. This could be a huge battle in the next 5 years. The Licensing costs of IP systems and the up front expense seems to be a bit heavy in a poor economy. Unless you are looking at a call center or some property that has big PRI, or T-1 needs I would stay with Magix for the next 4 to 6 years. It would be money saved for the new wave in IP coming in the next 5 years.

The Magix is almost trouble free, and cheap by comparison.
I like VOIP but I have seen to many providers screw things up and it costs me a truck roll on a warranty system only to get into a he said she said war with the VOIP provider till they finallly admit they caused the problem. I also have the Mitel ICP's in Hotels...

There will be Magix parts for the next 20 years if the partner is any indication. At least ten years anyways......

www.hospitalityphones.com, .net and .org are for sale at a reasonable price or offer.
I am now Retired and no longer need these URL's
I might be a little late in the game for this one but here's my 2 cents... I just installed an IP office in a dr's office with 26 phones, 6 fax/modems and 11 trunks on a PRI.

A couple of the features that the people there like best that the Magix will NOT do is:
Caller ID NAME (magix with pri does not give name) and Park slots.

They are used to using key systems when they had two seperate offices with only 3-5 lines each. They expected to be able to pickup an incoming call from almost anywhere in the office and then place the caller "on hold" until the right person could take the call. Since people are rarely at their own desk in the office, transfering calls is normally not an option.

The way I have their IPO setup, incoming calls ring to a groupring call group so anyone can answer. Then each phone has six park buttons for park slots 1-6. Instead of placing call on "hold" they place the caller into an available slot and use the set page feature to let the right person know there is a call waiting. That person can take the call from any other phone in the office.

As for the Caller ID NAME, it's not a big deal but they like the fact they can easily identify the call without trying to remember the number.

As a side note, I installed a Magix at the same office temporarily when they were having a strange issue with the IPO and they did not like the way it worked compared to the IPO.

Hi ipofficeguy,
Your info is all wrong. Magix capable of showing Caller ID and Name depends on how you are using your button programmed for CID and Name and Magix has a Parking feature as well. So you have to read Manual. That is why your customer did not like Magix cause you didn't know how to program and use it. Sorry for such harsh respond. Please do not feel offended. :toast:

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
It also depends on the provider and the type of caller ID service ordered.

With Plain-Jane loop-start trunks, most service providers do offer either name & number or just number.

Some providers, even with a PRI, will send only a calling number.

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,920 Shoretel
190,093 CTX100 install
188,316 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 55 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024