Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi,

I have a Partner Plus carrier with several modules in it. The 206 v2.0 module died (probably dead power supply) and I pulled it out. The remainder of the system continues to work fine.

When I get a replacement 206 module, will I need to do any re-programming of the system to set up its ports, or is all programming stored in one of the other modules?

I'm hoping that when I get the replacement I can just plug it in and have the system back to normal without having to reprogram.

Thanks,

-S

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
The programming is in the Processor. Unless you purpously temporarily reprogrammed something all should remain the same when you put the new board in.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Unless the internal battery in the processor is bad.................then you will lose everything.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Why dont you get a higher release 206 like a 4.1
the r2 is older than dirt.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
But Ken.................Avaya equip. last forever!

www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I agree with Mike about the potential risk of database loss. I don't know if it matters, but for some reason, the last time that I replaced a 206 module of a higher revision level in this system, I did it with the processor module pulled. It came back up, but I still consider it a miracle because a whole lot of other systems that I did this on didn't under the same circumstances.

If you can do a 1:1 revision replacement, that's the safest thing to do unless you know enough about the system to reprogram it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Glad you finaly came around Ed!!!!!!!!!!

www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
In the first post he says he removed the bad 206 and all works fine so that battery should be ok. If the programming does go I would plan on temporary programming and replacing the battery.

The revision of the expansion modules don't make much difference unless you are running a 3.1 or highter revision of a plus or II with a VM, then it would be a good idea to use 3.1's or newer. the features come from the processor.

OP Offline
Thanks all for your detailed replies. I decided to get an exact replacement (old 2.0 revision) to avoid any risk of complications when using with the old processor (I don't recall what version the proc. is.)

I'll follow-up post after I install to give everyone a data-point on this type of scenario.

One other question: does replacing the backup battery in the processor unit require re-programming the system, or does it have like a 30 second or couple-minute backup capacitor that will save programming during the short duration of a battery change? Where do I get a replacement battery for the processor?

Well guys, truth be known when it comes to expansion modules the later the release the newer it is and the more revisions to correct problems and add features it has had. You can only do yourself a favor by getting the latest release you can find. The release should make no difference operationally.

The 206 was the original Partner system (baby partner). R2 means that 206 is long over the hill and has been around the block several times. It was meant to be used all by itself or with another 206 or 206E. Since it can be used as an expansion, when the Partner Plus and Partner II processors came about many were used for that purpose. It was replaced by the 206E and later the 206EC.

You would have been much better off with a 206EC. The EC (Expansion- Caller ID) is the latest, I believe the last release was 4.1. All 206, 206E and 206EC mods have been discontinued and are only available used.

I'm sure whoever you bought that 206 from is probably having a Corona on you for taking it off his hands. :shhh:

If you lose your programming when changing mods it's because you shut it down and the memory backup battery is gone. If it doesn't come up, well, that can be a problem with old Partner systems. Sometimes the mods won't seat in the carrier, sometimes you just touch them and they die. I wouldn't blame it on the mod you used.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,337
Posts639,041
Members49,785
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,537 Shoretel
190,873 CTX100 install
189,303 1a2 system
Newest Members
gianluca, Micheal C, etel, AVO-IT, wierderal
49,785 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Yoda 11
Rupert 11
tim10 10
Toner 8
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yoda, KRRath), 142 guests, and 93 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024