One other question: does replacing the backup battery in the processor unit require re-programming the system, or does it have like a 30 second or couple-minute backup capacitor that will save programming during the short duration of a battery change? Where do I get a replacement battery for the processor?

Depends on the processor. If it's an ACS there are two AAA batteries right there in the front. Replace them with the POWER ON and you will have no problem.

If you have a Partner Plus or Partner II the NiCad battery is not user replaceable. It is soldered internally to the PC board and requires disassembly and component level repair. The recommendation is to replace, not repair.

If you are having loss of programming problems with one of these when the power goes down I would recommend that you take the opportunity to upgrade to an ACS which also has the ability to backup your programming to a removable PC card.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.