web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I am helping a customer with their gate phone. It is a DoorKing connected to a Panasonic phone system. The gate-phone has been doing weird things - sometimes it will auto-answer and open the gate and sometimes the line will busy-out entirely so no calls can come from gate. I did not do the install and am only somewhat familiar with Panasonic. This was installed a decade or so ago and the old vendor is not available.

Long-story-short; after much troubleshooting and tone-and-tracing, the gate phone is wired so that dial-tone is fed from from jack 18 and is looped back from the gate-phone(s) on a separate pair and goes to CO3.

We did not have the system password and so I reset the system, which seems to have fixed another bad port, and the one to the gate is no longer doing the odd things, and I am able to program it as a ring-down so that it rings an extension on the system; but how do I get it to ring all phones?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OBT Offline
Admin
Admin
If the door unit id wired to co 3 and sends ring voltage to CO 3 then set co 3 to ring all extensions on incoming calls.

If the door unit calls the extension that is looped to co 3, same thing, program co 3 to ring all extensions

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
OP Offline
I don't understand why this works/doesn't work - if I test with a standard phone instead of the doorking, it doesn't ring all phones, but when wired up with the DoorKing it does, so I guess Doorking is generating the ring...?

Anyway, it rings in all the phones, but only rings 1 time before the line seems to auto-answer and somehow sends a "9" (we hear a tone and the gate opens). Trying to extend the ring time and not have it auto answer, but now idea how or what is picking up the line.

OBT Offline
Admin
Admin
If you put a phone on the cable from the doorking. Do you get dial tone. And when you call from the door king does it ring the phone.

If you also loop another extension from the system to line 3 and ring that extension what happens. Unless you have programmed a pickup on the extension that dials a code the door king is doing it.

What is the setup on the system. Is the door king connected to co 3 or to an extension
If an extension. Is there a different extension connection to co 3?

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
OP Offline
Here are my notes and wiring diagram:

Desired functionality is for calls from the gate to ring 6-8 times before timing out. The line should not auto-answer. The gate should not open unless the call is answered, and someone presses “9”.

Panasonic 824
DoorKing Model 1812 Classic

Currently:
• Calls from the gates ring once, then auto-answer and sometimes/most times opens the gate without anyone answering.
• If line unplugged from CO3, gate phone still calls, but does not ring any phone.
• If line unplugged from Jack 18, the gate-phones do not call.
• The DoorKing(s) generate ring-voltage when they go off-hook

Questions:
• How/why are the calls auto-answering (shorting out)?
• Why is it happening after 1 ring – timing is consistent like programming, as opposed to varying and random timing if it was something physical = (like a loose wire).
• How/why does the gate open without someone pressing “9”

[Linked Image from i.imghippo.com]

DoorKing1

DoorKing2

terminals (same for both)

Panasonic - it's jumbled, but the brown pair to jack 18 and the blue-pair to CO3 from the same cable can be seen

Last edited by 4thright; 05/25/24 10:23 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by OBT
If you put a phone on the cable from the doorking. Do you get dial tone. And when you call from the door king does it ring the phone.
Yes - I did not do this yesterday but did on my first visit a couple of months ago. If I remove the 'Phone In' feed and connect my butt-set to 'Phone Out', then do a test from the gate-phone, it will ring my butt-set and I can open the gate, and it does not auto-answer or open on it's own.

If you also loop another extension from the system to line 3 and ring that extension what happens. Unless you have programmed a pickup on the extension that dials a code the door king is doing it.
Yes, The DoorKing has to be generating the call/ring-voltage. I tried patching in my butt-set to the circuit and going off-hook and it did not initiate a call; I then configured port 18 to ringdown to port 17, and when I went off-hook again, only ext 17 rang, nothing came in on CO3.

What is the setup on the system. Is the door king connected to co 3 or to an extension
If an extension. Is there a different extension connection to co 3?
Nothing special set up on phone system, just default settings. Port 18 is the only extension involved, as far as I can tell.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Does the 824 have a Panasonic voice processing system connected? The reason I ask is that you say you initialized the 824 due to lack of password. In doing so, this makes all lines ring on all station ports. In addition, the system will automatically detect a Panasonic voice processing system, so it will answer as auto attendant on the first ring. The 824 will also send #9 upon disconnect in order to "tell" the auto attendant that the calling party has hung up. Since you mentioned 9 being the code to open the gate, my mind has started wandering due to the coincidence that exists.

<Something> is answering on the first ring and <something> is dialing 9. Sounds like I may be onto something.

Step 1: If there is a voice processing unit, disconnect it from the 824 and test again with all Door King connections intact.
Step 2: If things work properly, leave it disconnected until we can dig deeper into assisting you with station ring programming.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
There is no voice processing system connected and similar symptoms existed before I defaulted the system - it would auto-answer and open the gate randomly.

I'm wondering if looping the jack-port back to the CO port could cause some problem? Since the Doorking is sending the call with or without the jack port connected; but the call doesn't ring CO3 unless the jack port is connected; could the jack port be connected just for dial-tone? Could that be why he CO port doesn't 'hear' the Doorking call unless the jack port is connected? The CO port needs to detect loop current to be 'listening' on the CO port?

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,326
Posts638,992
Members49,781
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,451 Shoretel
190,731 CTX100 install
189,209 1a2 system
Newest Members
wierderal, dante2, Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg
49,781 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 11
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
whoami 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 85 guests, and 90 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024