Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
pingable #598442 02/28/16 04:44 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Verizon has capped FiOS. The company will install the service where the process to gain entrance is underway, but, will not start the process for new locations.

But even in towns/cities where FiOS is being installed, Verizon will make good use of claiming a hardship, thus, no FiOS for users in said areas. mad

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

pingable #598446 02/28/16 07:56 PM
That is interesting. I have a client that is a mile away from the nearest FiOS connection. After repeated service calls regarding bad cable pairs on the 200 pair cable on the street, Verizon told my customer "We are installing FiOS to your facility. We will not continue service on copper."

So, is the cap company wide or is it regional?

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
pingable #598447 02/28/16 08:53 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
It is a cap on expansion into new towns/cities. In towns where FiOS already exists, new service can be ordered so long as it is financially feasible to Verizon. Otherwise cable techs will be dispatched to either repair or replace copper as required.

I would like my church to switch to FiOS, but all utilities are underground. The block consists of the church, an empty home structure (eventually it will house businesses) and a stand alone CVS.

Verizon has no fiber underground along our side of the block. Comcast and RCN have no conduits either. Verizon will only go as high as 7M/768K DSL (which is what we have).

Verizon's end strategy is to deploy services via OTA as opposed to wireline (think Verizon Wireless).

I Love FEATURE 00
pingable #598451 02/29/16 09:02 AM
If copper is dead it's news to me. PRI is still cheaper here (and better). Last mile is almost always copper.

pingable #598452 02/29/16 11:12 AM
It must be regional then. There is a new sub division going in and there are NO utility services there. It was a 200 acre farm. I talked to a Verizon tech and he said Verizon, via contractor, is installing FiOS only for the entire sub division.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
pingable #598453 02/29/16 11:59 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Sort of, Ralph. As Paul stated earlier, if you land within the original footprint of a FiOS service area, then chances are that you can still get the service. If a new development falls within this footprint, then they will likely expand FiOS there. They just aren't building out the service territory any further. This service has been a huge loss for Verizon, so they are having to re-think their strategy.

They are installing new copper in my area here and there. They just ran about 1,000 feet of aerial 600 pair and another 2,000 feet underground for a rehab project in our office park. In another area located between Richmond and Williamsburg, VA, they have deemed it as not getting FiOS and have embarked on a major copper rehabilitation project. They have transferred some of their best copper people there and the quality of their workmanship speaks volumes. It is beautiful aerial plant.

In Alexandria, VA, the city council has ruled that Verizon cannot build any FiOS plant because of a moratorium on new aerial plant for any utilities. They can only replace what is already there for maintenance purposes. Customers are leaving Verizon for Comcast in order to get decent bandwidth, since this is their only viable option.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
pingable #598461 02/29/16 03:44 PM
Copper isn't dead, yet, but it is dying...at least in my area. We had a meeting with AT&T a week ago. Their sales engineer point blank told us that it is AT&T's objective to be off copper by 2020. We have some customer sites that do not have fiber or U-verse available (its rural Mississippi). They don't even have dsl service, but they do have T1's. AT&T said they will phase out T1 service in those area's, do away with POTS lines, and push everyone to LTE, basically, a wireless service for data and voice connections. Shocking, but it's not.

pingable #598467 02/29/16 06:49 PM
Funny thing happened today. I had a station move at my church and as I was driving up the driveway which is a mile and a half long to the church, I came across a contractor blocking the entrance to the church as they were installing fiber.

Now, I have been a constant source of irritation to ANYONE from Verizon that would listen because I wanted FiOS for our church. Comcast stinks and the copper leading to the church is in terrible shape.

I asked the contractor if they were putting in fiber for Verizon. Yes, he said. I asked if they were busy. He said, "we are one of 5 contractors placing fiber in the area and we are swamped. Verizon just added 4 more contractors to help with the work." I asked him if he knew of Verizon capping new fiber installs around here. He said, "if anything, they are expanding fiber installation."

So, I guess it's the luck of the draw. Funny..."FiOS is a loss for Verizon" yet, here, it's a money maker. Go figure.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
pingable #598468 02/29/16 06:50 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
That is what Verizon is working towards. Deliver voice, data and TV services OTA as opposed to copper or fiber.

Didn't at&t just announce that it was closing off U-verse to new subscribers and pushing DirecTV? eh

I've given up holding out hope for FiOS at my church. Verizon doesn't want to spend the money to put the hardware under the sidewalk, trench the property line and pull fiber. We probably won't see any chance for an upgrade until the company starts in with OTA service delivery.

I Love FEATURE 00
pingable #598472 02/29/16 09:28 PM
The telephone company here want to put fiber over most of the city. Sorry Iam having trouble with the video.

https://www.vancouversun.com/news/t...ork+across+vancouver/11409326/story.html

Last edited by Bob3470; 02/29/16 09:31 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,433 Shoretel
189,204 CTX100 install
187,444 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (newtecky), 146 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024