Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
those jacks came with the cover plate and the four wires with spade terminals . nothing was connected to the block which is a separate piece. Its not like a jack you get today where it comes with the wires under the screws .The concept was you could attach the cover plate to a existing 42a block in a hardwired situation and turn it modular

so cutting off the unused wires wasn't uncommon , cutting them was quicker than putting them under the screws

I don't understand the Union reference either

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I've seen this done in my area on older biscuit jacks that the LEC used. Never understood the reasoning, other than maybe lazyness (not wanting to screw down the 2 leads or leave them loose inside the jack).

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Laziness. Too lazy to screw them down and too lazy to tape them. Leave them loose and they might short out the live circuit.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
The same thing is done by the old Bell techs here in Des Moines.

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Maybe to generate Revenue when the second pair needs to be installed the same jack.

Non-Union for 14 years; Union for 12 years
Never did that...ever.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I'll be honest here: I've clipped the extra jack leads off in lieu of terminating them many times in the past. Nowadays, I'll coil them up and tuck them into the little pocket to the side of the actual jack itself. Or so I thought I should be doing.....

One of my coworkers advised against this since doing it might short the second pair and many new digital phones have other purposes for the second pair, for example: Vodavi digital phones send information back out on the second pair to interface with ancillary devices.

I wouldn't have terminated anything like that though. I'd have mounted the 42A block on a 735A mounting plate so that I can roll a reasonable amount of slack wire behind the block. That's assuming that the block wasn't attached to a solid surface.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
To answer your question about the colors being on the wrong terminal: The original 42A block was used for terminating spade-tipped line cords to station wiring. The later 625A modular jack cover came along, but this same block was retained since the cover could be used to retrofit existing hardwired installations.

The 42A block had a notch to allow the line cord to enter it and there was a slot (look at the block on the left in the picture) to allow the T-shaped metal bracket on the cord to be secured.

This meant that the block should be installed with this opening facing upward. Industry standard was and always has been (at least in slang) right, ring, red. In my travels, I always made it a point to maintain this so that the tip side of line one was upper left, ring was upper right, tip of line two was lower left and ring was lower left. Who cares about the stamping on a block of a blind screw terminal? I always trusted the color of the wire connected rather than the stamped designation.

I don't think that there was anything sinister about having clipped the unused leads from the jack cover. I don't even think it was a matter of laziness. An RJ11C was a two-wire, 6P6C jack with only the red and green wired to the network. That is all they were trying to do.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Even though each jack could accommodate two different telephone lines, wasn't it common to use one for each line? I thought that the Y/BK pair had a specific purpose and...if installed near a KSU/PBX...a splitter would be needed to separate them?

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
The only time you could use both lines off a jack like that was for a 2-line phone or some other similar situation. Other than that, yes, each pair has it's own jack.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
or a 2-line splitter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,326
Posts638,990
Members49,781
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,427 Shoretel
190,698 CTX100 install
189,189 1a2 system
Newest Members
wierderal, dante2, Rupert, igor11176, hamishegg
49,781 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 12
Rupert 7
tim10 5
lyte 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 66 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024