web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
With so many different "variety" of NEC VM product...there's still TOO much confusion out there and NOT ENOUGH CLARIFICATION from NEC about proper testing of SMTP VM to Email traffic. This bring the phone world into brackish water that we swim in sometimes with IT Techs.

The problem...DIMM is varied between systems and to properly be able to tell a customer "yep, see that, that text right there...thats why you can't receive vm to email" is/has become a "system debug" mystery that only the strongest of the fittest know...

How do you test? (Please dont say Wireshark unless its the absolute LAST thing anyone can suggest bc truth be told...wiresharks a pain in the butt!)

If anyone has a sheet explaining the EASIEST route to confirm VM to Email is leaving the train station, please either attach it here or could it be sent in email?

Thanks in advance and any expert input IS immensely appreciated!

No one seems to have time to do it right but everyone has time to do it twice!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

This is actually quite simple on the 8100, not sure if the 9100 is different. The UM8000 is a little more complicated, but still not horrible.

I am not going to post how to get into the 8100 remote DIM service, I have to assume you know how to do that with PuTTy or Hyperterminal. You would also log into the UM8000 with Putty or Hyperterminal.

InMail:

8. In HT main screen press [Enter] to get a prompt.
9. Type “vmuaid 1” and press [Enter], enables vmuaid flags.
10. Type “vmuaid 18” and press [Enter].
11. Empty the email work queue empty it by typing “vmuaid 20” and press [Enter], this does not affect calls.
12. Duplicate problem by leaving a message in a mailbox that has the Email Notification feature programmed and activated which will make the system try to send an email.
13. In HT from the menu bar select Transfer/Capture Text/Stop.

Disable SV8100 Logging:
Note resetting the phone system will also disable any logging.
15. Go to HT screen.
16. Type “vmuaid 18” and press [Enter].
17. Type “vmuaid 21” and press [Enter].
18. Type “vmuaid 5” and press [Enter].
19. Disconnect from SV8100 in HT.

For UM 8000:

Go to the Maint menu
Go to Command Prompt and type (bold only):
BASH – 3.2$ CD VAR/LOG
Verify by typing PWD

Type: tail msmtp.log

This will give you the last 10-15 logs of mail sent.

Last edited by doghart; 03/25/15 12:25 AM.
I really like the InMail debug because you actually see the process the system is going through to send the mail, whether you're using relay off of an exchange server or authenticating to a hosted account like gmail or Yahoo or even Office365.

The UM8000 is a little more generic, but you still get all the info you need (cannot authenticate, invalid user name, cannot reach host -which usually means invalid DNS entry or no internet access).

ALSO... I would highly recommend leaving your first test message from an outside line, not calling station to station. I've seen the email fail over and over from an internal call, then work perfectly fine from an external call. Why, who knows, but after the first email sends successfully, the next messages will as well whether they are internal or external calls. No explanation, it just happens sometimes.

Last edited by doghart; 03/25/15 12:34 AM.
Never really had an issue getting the INMAIL to work. I use a generic GMAIL account to make sure that it IS working. Normally it's always the exchange server that doesn't have their SMTP relay setup right. Their IT staff should be able to see the fail messages and correct it.

We use Gmail on all setups, that way we don't have to deal with IT. Since we started using Gmail we no longer have issues with IT pointing fingers.

We get old too soon, smart too late
Thanx Doghart. Just tested on the SV9100 and it's the same. Works well. Must put it away in my keepsake stuff :-)

Regards,

Paul W
Now back to a 0 day week. Love these 7 day weekends.
G mail, pi%& on IT.

aok what others have said, GMAIL!!

I create an email with the client on gmail and give them the information and also retain the information for us.

You can always log into the gmail account when testing to see if the account is attempting to send the email as well.

The only thing I have found with using Gmail is if you have two step validation set email delivery won't work nor will YouTube on an apple TV..

Regards,

Paul W
Now back to a 0 day week. Love these 7 day weekends.
OP Offline
Anyone else integrate an Aspire Mail with Office365?

No one seems to have time to do it right but everyone has time to do it twice!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,819
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,445 Shoretel
189,216 CTX100 install
187,455 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 8
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (Keyset6, highlysecptial), 93 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024